Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Need first AR! Any help on these questions greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The 200 tax stamp is NOT worth it...

5 dollar one is.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Are they shorter than a collapsed M4 stock?
    Yes and the other "braces" that fold for things like an mp5 and the CZ scorpion are way too short.

Anything over a “gray area” above 13.5" can be seen as a modified pistol brace with the intent to shoulder.
    So if you have a KAK brace don't go over 13" length of pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Suppressors are as dumb as someone's 37th firearm...not really necessary, but why not?? A suppressor is on my list of probably 2019 purchases.

BTW, the 300 Blackout kit you posted has me debating whether a suppressor is dumber than a 38th firearm.
    I have two suppressors and I don't shoot anything other then my CCW without one. It makes shooting a lot more enjoyable. No more ringing ears... Headphones and earplugs just don't cut it with some guns. I wish I had them years ago... That one or two shots that you take every year with your 308 while hunting without ear pro does a lot of damage... Trust me.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    Yes and the other "braces" that fold for things like an mp5 and the CZ scorpion are way too short.

Anything over a “gray area” above 13.5" can be seen as a modified pistol brace with the intent to shoulder.
    Is this written by the ATF somewhere? Citation please
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Is this written by the ATF somewhere? Citation please
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ing-brace/amp/

Marty of Shockwave Technologies posted on his website that shouldering the Blade is ok. However critical thinking gives me cause for concern.

I just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman at ATF Tech Branch—who was fielding these calls today. (He was, understandably, very well versed on the subject—and very nice about it even though he’s been on the phone all day, repeating himself ad nauseam.) I identified myself and asked him specifically if the letter that’s making the rounds is limited to one company’s products–or if it applies to all pistol stabilizing braces. He said: “The letter covers all pistol stabilizing braces, including the Shockwave Blade.” So that settles that.

He then gave me a bit of further guidance for our customers:

By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)
    “Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words. I believe this has to do with the “comfortableness” aspect.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.
    So there you have it. Anything you read to the contrary on a web forum, social media site or industry blog is simple misinformation by people who are not being completely honest.
    A man in Ohio was just taken to court by the ATF for this, although he won on what might be more of a flawed case by the ATF rather then an unjust rule. Yes they are all unjust, but they make em and we have to follow them.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 30th, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post

The only "grey area" here is on my head.

I just went and measured a few...
    Carbine #1 - 12.5" LOP
    Carbine #2 - 12.75" LOP
    Carbine #3 with A1 length, fixed stock - 13" LOP
    Pistol with KAK dimpled tube and Shockwave Blade - 12" "LOP"
    If anything, looks like I may want to lengthen it a bit to match the others! LOL!

I didn't measure the rest because they are all set pretty much the same with variances between manufacturers.

An A1 stock is only 5/8" shorter than an A2 stock, so how god awful LONG are all of your arms???

Are you all saying that a rifle with an A2 fixed stock is somehow TOO SHORT for you?
    I've always heard the OPPOSITE COMPLAINT - that it's TOO LONG - that the shorter, A1 length is preferred.

Whatever. Doesn't matter. I'm well within some arbitrary "ATF suggestion".

(Northampton County)

Wouldn't I need to switch the buffer assembly or even other parts every time I wanted to shoot my longer 16in 5.56? I'm a newbie..

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman1eanda View Post
    Wouldn't I need to switch the buffer assembly or even other parts every time I wanted to shoot my longer 16in 5.56? I'm a newbie..
    Depends on your 5.56 set up. 16” midlegnth gas system doesn’t require a special H2 buffer like some carbine gas systems do to run efficiently.

If you going to run a standard pistol buffer which are typically heavier then you may need to change that out for a standard carbine or H buffer when swapping over for the best function and reliability with all types of ammo.

It also depends on the brace set up you choose to use.

If any of this is for self or home defense then I will once again highly advise you to do it right and buy yourself a dedicated set up that you know Runs 100% of the time with parts that are not being swapped out, that’s when mistakes happen and no one wants those in HD or SHTF situations.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 30th, 2019 at 01:29 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345