Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade in value?

Default Trade in value?

I've never tradded a gun in before.
    I've heard of people getting trade in prices that are the same or similar to used price. Would that be accurate?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Trade in value?

Quote Originally Posted by Bow2no1 View Post
    I've never tradded a gun in before.
    I've heard of people getting trade in prices that are the same or similar to used price. Would that be accurate?
    If you did, that would be fantastic. The dealer makes most of his money on used guns, so buy low, sell high is the rule. How much of a split is what makes the difference between dealers. If you have a gun they expect to sell quickly you can get more, but don't expect used prices on a trade except in unusual instances.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Carbon County)

trading in an item to a merchant you will get a lower price because the merchant must resell at a profit to him at price that is lower than the new like product he sells
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Chester County)

From what I've seen, if it's not a 9mm, older P&R Smith, Colt
    , 1911, or some oddball you won't get squat on a sidearm for trade-in.

Generally 50% of Blue Book value.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I was on the understanding that if I sold just the gun to them I would get less then I would if I traded it in?
    I understand they gotta make money.
    They would be making money off the new gun and probably a little on the trade in?

I'm not hard up or have to sell it. I just don't want it and want something else. But I'm not willing to take a big hit either.
    I don't want to be one of those guys that walks in expecting to much and end up walking right back out.

I'm not sure what blue book is. But half of what I believe used to be isn't worth it to me. Ill keep it for that.

Smile Re: Trade in value?

A dealer will offer you a lot less than what you paid,unless he sold it to you .They have to make a profit too and they make more on used firearms than new.for instance a S&W SD 9mm sells for $ 259 ,LGS will buy it reluctantly for $ 125 and will resell for $ 200 and will sit in his gun case for a bit not a quick turnover for profit will accept $ 175 ,Many other scenarios depending on Make,Model,availability .

(Washington County)

Consider selling the firearm yourself and putting the money towards your purchase. More effort on your end equals more profit for you. Also consider shopping around online for the best price on your new firearm.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bow2no1 View Post
    I was on the understanding that if I sold just the gun to them I would get less then I would if I traded it in?
    I understand they gotta make money.
    They would be making money off the new gun and probably a little on the trade in?

I'm not hard up or have to sell it. I just don't want it and want something else. But I'm not willing to take a big hit either.
    I don't want to be one of those guys that walks in expecting to much and end up walking right back out.
    You will usually get more if you're trading it twards something that's already in the case at the LGS. How much more will depend on if it's a new gun you're trading twards or used and how desirable your trade in is vs. what your trading for.

Trading a used gun twards a new gun doesn't help the FFL much, since there's not much margin on new guns. Trading used for used is where your going to get the most out of it, especially if you have something more desirable than what your trading twards. If it's something that's going to sit around a long time, you won't get as much.

You will almost always make out better selling something privately than trading if you price it well. I use "completed auctions" on Gun Broker to establish market value most of the time and then decide what a fair price is. That's usually as a buyer, but I'd do the same as a seller too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast