Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade in value?

Default Re: Trade in value?

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    You will usually get more if you're trading it twards something that's already in the case at the LGS. How much more will depend on if it's a new gun you're trading twards or used and how desirable your trade in is vs. what your trading for.

Trading a used gun twards a new gun doesn't help the FFL much, since there's not much margin on new guns. Trading used for used is where your going to get the most out of it, especially if you have something more desirable than what your trading twards. If it's something that's going to sit around a long time, you won't get as much.

You will almost always make out better selling something privately than trading if you price it well. I use "completed auctions" on Gun Broker to establish market value most of the time and then decide what a fair price is. That's usually as a buyer, but I'd do the same as a seller too.
    I didn't think about used for used. I don't care of they gun is used or new. I was consider a Colt Delta elete in 10mm
    I would be putting cash on top of my trade in. I have a Ruger Alaskan 454. That's just way to much of a gun for me. It's definitely impressive.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bow2no1 View Post
    I didn't think about used for used. I don't care of they gun is used or new. I was consider a Colt Delta elete in 10mm
    I would be putting cash on top of my trade in. I have a Ruger Alaskan 454. That's just way to much of a gun for me. It's definitely impressive.
    Okay, here's what I see then. Average sold price for a Alaskan 454 is about $790 on GunBroker. New Delta Elite sells around $1150 from what I see. Used around 1000 in nice shape. If it were my shop, so take this with a grain of salt, the best deal I would give would be @ 650-700 trade in on used assuming I had a used Delta. That would probably make me a little extra than just selling the Delta out right and the two guns would probably sell in similar time frames.

On a new Delta I would have to order, I'd go much less since the profit wouldn't be there. I'd probably only offer 600 or so twards the new Delta. Or you could get the same trade in value, but you'd be charged more for the Delta. Any way you look at it, the buisness is going to make the same amount on both guns.

Selling it outright here, I would price it at 750 and would consider throwing in the transfer cost to the buyer. That would be just slightly under the market value I see and would probably sell fairly quickly.

(Washington County)

Sellong it outright here, I would price it at 750 and would consider throwing in the transfer cost to the buyer. That would be just slightly under the market value I see and would probably sell fairly quickly.
    This is good advice. A NIB Alaskan can be found online for $900. It is also a niche gun which limits your market to people who don't mind sore wrists. If you want to move the pistol, consider a more reasonable price of $700-$750, which is going to be more than you get from any trade at your LGS, in my opinion anyway.

(Chester County)

Gunwatcher.com and especially gunbroker.com are your friends when trying to figure out pricing.

(Columbia County)

There is a small financial advantage on a trade in. That is you only pay sales tax on the gun you are buying minus the trade in price. For example, if the gun you are buying is $500.00 and the shop offers a to buy the gun your trade in gun for $300.00 you only pay sales tax on $200.00 for the purchase of the new gun.

Okay, here's what I see then. Average sold price for a Alaskan 454 is about $790 on GunBroker. New Delta Elite sells around $1150 from what I see. Used around 1000 in nice shape. If it were my shop, so take this with a grain of salt, the best deal I would give would be @ 650-700 trade in on used assuming I had a used Delta. That would probably make me a little extra than just selling the Delta out right and the two guns would probably sell in similar time frames.

On a new Delta I would have to order, I'd go much less since the profit wouldn't be there. I'd probably only offer 600 or so twards the new Delta. Or you could get the same trade in value, but you'd be charged more for the Delta. Any way you look at it, the buisness is going to make the same amount on both guns.

Selling it outright here, I would price it at 750 and would consider throwing in the transfer cost to the buyer. That would be just slightly under the market value I see and would probably sell fairly quickly.
    I just found a used Delta for $975 locally. The shop is open today. I might head up and see if we can work out a deal? If they can give me decent trade in, they'll own it.
    Then Ruger is pretty much new. No condition/wear issues there. The quality is there. Just a matter of price.

IF your lucky you will get 30% of that you paid NIB from most LGS, there are a few exceptions like Advanced Arms in Pittston who is fair, open and honest. I also worked at a very very buy shop and range in NJ that would give very fair trades if you were trading towards another firearm from them or if you were a member of the range. They didn't need to pay this months rent on the sale of a few guns they moved major volume and made their money with great prices and affordable range fees.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bow2no1 View Post
    I just found a used Delta for $975 locally. The shop is open today. I might head up and see if we can work out a deal? If they can give me decent trade in, they'll own it.
    Then Ruger is pretty much new. No condition/wear issues there. The quality is there. Just a matter of price.
    That's a good price on the Delta, if it is in decent shape. I hope you can work out a deal.

(Chester County)

Guns are no different than cars. if you want to get anywhere near what the gun is worth, sell it privately somewhere like Gunbroker, or here on the PAFOA classifieds. I have been browsing in various local gun stores in the past when someone comes in with a desirable gun and says they want to sell it. The prices they were offered by the store were so shockingly low, I wished I could buy the gun right out from under them for that price or even more. But seeing as how that would be completely unethical, I kept my mouth shut and moved along. Most people I saw took the offered price. Stores are in business to make money, not help you get the most from your used gun.

I understand that. I've bought and sold alot in my life time.
    The Ruger is a result of trading.
    Without going into detail and my investment.
    This is where I'm at now. This is all just a personal project. None of the guns on this little adventure I'm on I had a intention on keeping.
    Except this one. If I can work on a deal for a Delta, ill keep that. Then I would let go my G20.

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Guns are no different than cars. if you want to get anywhere near what the gun is worth, sell it privately somewhere like Gunbroker, or here on the PAFOA classifieds. I have been browsing in various local gun stores in the past when someone comes in with a desirable gun and says they want to sell it. The prices they were offered by the store were so shockingly low, I wished I could buy the gun right out from under them for that price or even more. But seeing as how that would be completely unethical, I kept my mouth shut and moved along. Most people I saw took the offered price. Stores are in business to make money, not help you get the most from your used gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast