Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade in value?

(Erie County)

Default Re: Trade in value?

Quote Originally Posted by Bow2no1 View Post
    I've never tradded a gun in before.
    I've heard of people getting trade in prices that are the same or similar to used price. Would that be accurate?
    Sure. If you pay over and above the retail price of the gun you are buying. Just like buying cars. Yeh, they'll give you a great trade price, then sell you the car for sticker, or above. A FFL who you've patronized often will tell you the truth. You are much better off selling a gun yourself.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    There is a small financial advantage on a trade in. That is you only pay sales tax on the gun you are buying minus the trade in price. For example, if the gun you are buying is $500.00 and the shop offers a to buy the gun your trade in gun for $300.00 you only pay sales tax on $200.00 for the purchase of the new gun.
    That's six bucks. The Alaskan won't sell quickly for over 600. Expensive ammo, hard kicking, not a big market. The delta is money loser too. Better to keep than sell. You can put lots of effort into getting a better price, but what is your time worth? Actions are another way to sell. Hope for a bidding war and emotional miscalculations.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Thanks for all the replys.
    I traded at the gun store today.
    They gave me within my ball park for what I needed to get for a trade in and i now have a Colt Delta Elete 10mm..
    It's used, but I'm ok with that. It's more of what I want to keep then the Ruger Alaskan was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    That's six bucks. The Alaskan won't sell quickly for over 600. Expensive ammo, hard kicking, not a big market. The delta is money loser too. Better to keep than sell. You can put lots of effort into getting a better price, but what is your time worth? Actions are another way to sell. Hope for a bidding war and emotional miscalculations.
    I had that Ruger Alaskan listed on several different places with very minimal response. Told me there was not many people interested in it.

I just want to keep 1, 10mm in my collection.
    Given that the Ruger was going to be harder to get rid of, I wanted that to go 1st.
    I'm looking at the Delta elete as a upgrade from my G20.
    The G20 will be the next to go. Just refining my collection.

After that ill probably off load my 9mm shield. And up grade to a Kimber micro or something of that nature.
    Haven't put alot of thought into it. Not quite to that step yet.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Consider selling the firearm yourself and putting the money towards your purchase. More effort on your end equals more profit for you. Also consider shopping around online for the best price on your new firearm.
    Always.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    There is a small financial advantage on a trade in. That is you only pay sales tax on the gun you are buying minus the trade in price. For example, if the gun you are buying is $500.00 and the shop offers a to buy the gun your trade in gun for $300.00 you only pay sales tax on $200.00 for the purchase of the new gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Yep. And if you trade with an individual or buy from an out of state online vendor, sales tax is irrelevant anyway. Unless some of the online vendors are complying with PA sales tax collection, which I doubt.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bow2no1 View Post
    After that ill probably off load my 9mm shield. And up grade to a Kimber micro or something of that nature.
    Haven't put alot of thought into it. Not quite to that step yet.
    Trade in values on a Shield are pretty low. $150-200 is probably what you'd get on a trade. The Shield has been out for for a decent amount of time. There's a lot of them out there. S&W often runs rebate promos for consumers, as well as various promo/discount deals at the distributor/store level. That drives the price of new guns down, which drives the price of used guns down. Take all that and add in the folks that run to their LGS and trade in for the new hot gun, like the P365 or G43x.

You'd be better off spending some time doing the work yourself to find a private buyer. Dealing with the flakes and low ballers can get frustrating, but sometimes the end result is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Always.

Yep. And if you trade with an individual or buy from an out of state online vendor, sales tax is irrelevant anyway. Unless some of the online vendors are complying with PA sales tax collection, which I doubt.
    A lot of them are. I have not found one this year 2019 who isn't. PSA started beginning of Jan and that stung. Primary arms also , etc.
    Has to do with a supreme court reversal or something to that effect involving wayfare??

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Trade in values on a Shield are pretty low. $150-200 is probably what you'd get on a trade. The Shield has been out for for a decent amount of time. There's a lot of them out there. S&W often runs rebate promos for consumers, as well as various promo/discount deals at the distributor/store level. That drives the price of new guns down, which drives the price of used guns down. Take all that and add in the folks that run to their LGS and trade in for the new hot gun, like the P365 or G43x.

You'd be better off spending some time doing the work yourself to find a private buyer. Dealing with the flakes and low ballers can get frustrating, but sometimes the end result is worth it.
    I got mine on a rebate. 325+ 75 mail in rebate.
    So, $250 into it.
    We already have a G43. That's my wife's.

It's down the road. For the money I might just buy something outright. It's not a big deal.
    What this is coming down to, we agreed no more guns.
    I can upgrade. But my wife says no more. So, fair enough.
    I'm just trying to stick to the rules. Somewhat anyway.

(Berks County)

Bow2one I guess.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

A friend of mine works for a big outfit, cant say the name because they lurk gun forums to see who (employee) is
    leaking info etc.. He said they give 60% of the value. They gave a mutual friend of ours 600 for his garand.
    They sold it for 1250.00, another friend bought it and sold it 1500.00

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast