Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Used Gun Priced Too High ... Negotiate? Move On?

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Honestly, as a lefty, you should be looking into an Ithaca 37. Plenty of those around for cheap.
    And then you can slam fire the entire tube if it's an older one

(Beaver County)

Honestly, as a lefty, you should be looking into an Ithaca 37. Plenty of those around for cheap.
    Not interested in an Ithaca

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Based on personal experience at JBA, pigs will fly before Tim Brown cuts a price. He will adopt his version of a Jack Nicholson stare and very politely tell you that’s a very good price for that shotgun, and if you think it’s too much there are other shotguns in other gun shops. Tom on the other hand just might work with you if Tim’s not there.
    I second this answer.

Edit: It doesn’t matter how much shit needs replaced either, they will say it’s priced based on the condition it’s in.

Also don’t try to point out that their gunbroker starting bid is $35 cheaper and you’d buy it right now for that price...they’ll say you can get it for that price if you win the auction and then pay the “transfer fee” when picking it up in person.
    Last edited by spartakis252; January 28th, 2019 at 11:54 AM.

(Jefferson County)

I know dealers gotta make a buck, and I know what they typically offer when buying used guns. Armed with that, then knowing what the gun is worth, I'll occasionally play the game. Lowballing will hurt your game, often resulting in them standing firm on their prices.

I'm not the bartering type of guy, but when I don't like a price I ask to look at the gun to find flaws, then I make a very serious look of displeasure with my hand/finger pointing out the flaw, and then say, "I don't know". 4 out of 5 times it will get the dealer to offer up a new price, which then I'll counter in a respectable(to him) offer.

Other times, when I am set to purchase gun I'm already happy with the listed price, I'll ask "What can you do for me with that piece over there, can you make a package deal?" when wanting to buy 2 or more during the same transaction. I've learned that if you don't try to negotiate the first gun, they are often very friendly to the making a serious cut on the second gun. Same works with ammo/cheapo holsters/accessories when buying a gun. I cant begin to count the number of times I've gotten a "free" box of ammo with a gun purchase using this method.

Used handguns in my area are waaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Often for just $10-$20 more you can buy brand-new, sometimes more than a new gun(seriously!). Hunting rifles/shotguns you can often get seriously good deals on because of the overstock.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I would throw out the best price ,that I would want to pay for it... If he doesn't like that ,whats the worst he can do.. say.. NO! & your not welcome back.

Where are these cheap Ithaca 37s you speak of? Most used ones run for $300+. New are more than twice that. Then there's this riot gun looking version. That's the one I want, but don't want to spend $900 for it. If I could find a used one dirt cheap, I could convert it. Already priced out all the parts...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123