Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KBI SKS

(Northampton County)

Default KBI SKS

Took a nice 5 block walk to my local gun shop and inside for around $450 was a very beautiful 'Russian' SKS, from '1945'" similar to the one pictured here.

10696616_1.jpg

I gave the gun quotes because thats what the lady had told me it was. I later did some research and found it to be an SKS but an old KBI Inc SKS, and I know virtually nothing about them, except they were imported into KBI in Harrisburg(?) Not sure when and for how long. I'm very skeptical of it being a legit 1945, due to production and such, and with the condition, also the number 45 appears on the box and manual, so thats where shes getting the 1945 from, I THINK. None the less I'm interested as all hell. Gonna Google some SKS sites and see what I can find so I can take that knowledge with me if I decide to buy it..

So my question to you guys would be, is a KBI SKS worth the $450. I'm guessing nobodies gonna really know until I figure out the date and everything? Can you give me a general idea? Year wise, older obviously worth it more, matching numbers up the value and everything but is it worth it??

I already have a Yugoslavian SKS, very nice, a police/swat put-away I'm assuming but thats my issue, YUGOSLAVIAN SKS, not a legit RUSSIAN SKS, I know its apples and oranges and in the grand scheme of things, I'm not a dealer, I'm not here to make any money or anything, I just enjoy shooting, and I enjoy old military weapons, I would't call myself a collector of sorts, just a dude with a love of history and a nice hobby...

Default Re: KBI SKS

KBI is just the importer, does it have the box and all accessories like in the picture.

Is it all matching, unrefurbished, light refurb, or heavy refurb? At $450.00 it’s a really good price for a decent Russian these days so regardless of what it truly is you did well.

Pictures of the rifle help, the receiver cover tells a lot about a Russian regarding if it’s a refurb.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 26th, 2019 at 06:58 PM.

Yeah I was going to say, Ive seen them for 700+

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    KBI is just the importer does it have the box and all accessories like in the picture.

Is it all matching, unrefurbished, light refurb, or heavy refurb? At $450.00 it’s a really good price for a decent Russian these days so regardless of what it truly is you did well.

Pictures of the rifle help, the receiver cover tells a lot about a Russian regarding if it’s a refurb.
    I held it briefly just to get a feel of the weight, stock is definitely redone, not sure of the extent.. to be honest I was amazed a legit Russian SKS has been so close to home... (when I traveled out about an hour to get told the one I was looking at was sold, then got the shaft for $550 a little closer to home.. )
    Pretty sure the shops closed tomorrow so I'll give the receiver cover a check over.. I know my Yugos S/N is stamped on the rear, no date, no crest or anything just a number, and I dated that to be like 1970 I think?
    But I'll look at this one, I THINK, that S/N started with an "M" but again, only held it for a few minutes to get a feel, "M" not sure of a - or not, followed by like 08xxx?
    The booklet come with it, comes with a jankying looking Gulf War era sling, so not sure if its a "what you see is what you get" or like when you open a birthday gift, and someone has some extra goodies to go with said gift type thing.

I'll pop in with an update.
    I'm a terrible impulse buyer so...... gotta figure out how to make this one look like its always been here

Quote Originally Posted by ZimbabweJones View Post
    I held it briefly just to get a feel of the weight, stock is definitely redone, not sure of the extent.. to be honest I was amazed a legit Russian SKS has been so close to home... (when I traveled out about an hour to get told the one I was looking at was sold, then got the shaft for $550 a little closer to home.. )
    Pretty sure the shops closed tomorrow so I'll give the receiver cover a check over.. I know my Yugos S/N is stamped on the rear, no date, no crest or anything just a number, and I dated that to be like 1970 I think?
    But I'll look at this one, I THINK, that S/N started with an "M" but again, only held it for a few minutes to get a feel, "M" not sure of a - or not, followed by like 08xxx?
    The booklet come with it, comes with a jankying looking Gulf War era sling, so not sure if its a "what you see is what you get" or like when you open a birthday gift, and someone has some extra goodies to go with said gift type thing.

I'll pop in with an update.
    I'm a terrible impulse buyer so...... gotta figure out how to make this one look like its always been here
    Well if you don’t purchase it please PM me the name of the shop so I can go see it. I’ve been collecting SKS rifles for over a decade now and would be interested in it depending on year and a few other things. I am also not far from you so it would be worth my time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(Bucks County)

I wouldn't waste a lot of time thinking about buying that SKS, go buy it before someone else does. Maybe make an offer or find out if theres room to negotiate price before handing over your cash. I've seen beat up CHICOM and other COMBLOC, not Russian SKS's selling for $300+.

I don't know what makes one SKS more valuable than another but a quick check at gunbroker shows Russian SKS's with bids at 400+ bucks and some rifles are priced over a grand. 450 for the KBI may not be a killer deal but I think it's a fair price and I don't think you would find anything similar for less money especially locally.
    Last edited by wellcraft; January 28th, 2019 at 08:22 AM.

(Chester County)

I bought several Russian SKS's in the early/mid 90's just like that for $90 each. KBI was the importer.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I bought several Russian SKS's in the early/mid 90's just like that for $90 each. KBI was the importer.
    Those days are long gone, if I knew then what I know now I would have bought dozens of 100 dollar Russian and Chinese SKS's/AK47's along with other surplus rifles I use to see at Woolworths for 59 dollars. If I had a crystal ball I'd would have quadrupled my money by hoarding that stuff and selling it off now that they've become rare and increased in value.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    Those days are long gone, if I knew then what I know now I would have bought dozens of 100 dollar Russian and Chinese SKS's/AK47's along with other surplus rifles I use to see at Woolworths for 59 dollars. If I had a crystal ball I'd would have quadrupled my money by hoarding that stuff and selling it off now that they've become rare and increased in value.
    Yup unless your in Canada your not getting a cheap Russian SKS here in the states unless you get very very lucky like the OP.

(Lycoming County)

The date and manufacturer mark Will be stamped on the top cover behind the bolt like this:

For example this is a 1954 Tula arsenal that I have.

If it were an izhevsk it would have a triangle with an arrow in it over the date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast