Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default 20 gauge - self defense load

I know, 20 gauge has limited cartridge availability, but what loads do you all recommend? I found some #4 buck, and some #4 shot turkey loads (1.5 ounce) but what do you guys (and gals) have available/recommend... We just went through this with the 12 gauge loads, and I have a 12 gauge as well, but I also have an older mossie 20 that I would like to have ammo for (nice light gun that works well...)
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Franklin County)

Default Re: 20 gauge - self defense load

I use Winchester PDX1 Defender in my home-defense 12 gauge. They have a 'defense' offering for 20 gauge to, but it's a little different load.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...u-s-3%22%5D%7D
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I keep a 20 ga sxs hanging to have handy for varmints. I have a bandoleer of 20 ga 00 near the gun or use if needed. The 20 ga 00 came from Cabela's. The price was not bad. I do not remember what it was how ever.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    I know, 20 gauge has limited cartridge availability, but what loads do you all recommend? I found some #4 buck, and some #4 shot turkey loads (1.5 ounce) but what do you guys (and gals) have available/recommend... We just went through this with the 12 gauge loads, and I have a 12 gauge as well, but I also have an older mossie 20 that I would like to have ammo for (nice light gun that works well...)
    Sounds like it should work - just don't confuse your 20 gauge with your 12 gauge and keep the moss out of the chamber....
    - bamboomaster

(Lancaster County)

Always a good point - DON'T mix up the 20 and 12 ! I may get rid of the 20 just for that, but resale value is nill ... I figured I'd keep it just in case... I've got an older folding stock and it's kind of a nice emergency gun...
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

For "in the house" distances I just use 7 1/2 target loads with slugs in the sidesaddle. Shot spreads approximately 1" for every 1 yard traveled. Which means at the longest distance in my largest room, the spread would only be 3". The slugs are for keeping any wandering zombies off my lawn.

Here's a pretty informative video on using bird shot for home defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc
    Last edited by Hawk; January 23rd, 2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Susquehanna County)

put some crayons (or wax, but crayons rock) in a pan and warm up to melting point.
    open some #6 or 7 1/2 shot loads and mix shot in with the wax
    as wax begins to cool carefully load wax/shot mixture back into shell and crimp closed

Keeps the shot together until contact where it transfers most of the energy to the target and the shot disperses with the remaining energy

Can you say HOT DAYUM
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

I keep 2 3/4 #3 buck in my 20 gauge. Handles well, 20 pellets, and patterned nicely on a silhouette target @ 15yds.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    For "in the house" distances I just use 7 1/2 target loads with slugs in the sidesaddle. Shot spreads approximately 1" for every 1 yard traveled. Which means at the longest distance in my largest room, the spread would only be 3". The slugs are for keeping any wandering zombies off my lawn.

Here's a pretty informative video on using bird shot for home defense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc
    I had seen that before... GREAT VIDEO... When the weather gets nicer, I think I'll give it a try at the farthest distance in my house (probably 10 yards) and see what happens - just for kicks and giggles. Not a lot of rounds to choose from for the 20, I'll choose buck if I can find it, but the turkey loads will probably still be more than enough to do the job. If I do re-enact this, I will take video/photos... Thanks everyone !
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    put some crayons (or wax, but crayons rock) in a pan and warm up to melting point.
    open some #6 or 7 1/2 shot loads and mix shot in with the wax
    as wax begins to cool carefully load wax/shot mixture back into shell and crimp closed

Keeps the shot together until contact where it transfers most of the energy to the target and the shot disperses with the remaining energy

Can you say HOT DAYUM
    Seems it'd be a lot damn simpler to just buy some slugs....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast