Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: 20 gauge - self defense load

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Delkal, I'm curious as to why you say to steer clear of the 3" - short stroking? (and please, keep the personal comments about that to a minimum ! LOL) or do you feel there is some other disadvantage?
    Magnum 3 inch shells are just more than you need for home defense and you start getting limited by sometimes brutal recoil and possibly reduced magazine capacity. And although I never personally had a problem with short stroking it is theoretically more likely with the longer shells.

I don't think many police agencies use magnum 3 inch shells in their 12 ga. In fact the recent trend is to use "low recoil" loads for increased accuracy with the follow up shots.

Default Re: 20 gauge - self defense load

For my house gun in 12ga ,I have winchesters low recoil load 00 ............ they pattern tightly , which usually happens when you don't push them as fast as you can. The recoil feels like a light 20ga field load , to me anyhow and the wife can shoot them ..... unlike normal 12ga buck. The 20ga guns have a possible "advantage" of being a little smaller if that matters to a person.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123