Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wyoming County)

Default Alien Gear Shape Shifter Holster

Having recently added a Sig P229 to my inventory I wasn't sure how I would want to carry it. My closest comparison was a Glock 27 which I carried via a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster. That served me well for the most part but was not very good for summertime concealed carry.

This 229 is a little heavier and I guess comparable in size to a Glock 19. I wasn't sure how I wanted to carry- IWB or OWB. Seemed like a stretch thinking it could go IWB.

Anyway after looking at a lot of options I decided to give the Alien Gear Shape Shifter a try. They have a 30 trial period with a "No questions asked return policy" and a lifetime guarantee on the product.

The starter kit gets you 4 carry options- Paddle, OWB belt slide, IWB, and appendix iwb. It also comes with hardware for hard mounting to a desk, or car dash etc. Cost was $99 with ~$12.5 shipping

*I can tell you right off the bat, my chances of carrying appendix are slim and none (my belly objects). Doubtful I will ever drill holes in something for hard mounting either.

I haven't got any time wearing it yet but I tried the other 3 options and my impressions are pretty good.

1. Starting with the paddle holster. Not much to say except it does print significantly as it sticks out from the waist pretty far. I'd say a Blackhawk serpa is a little better if you are trying to conceal, but if you are "open carrying" then probably good to go. It has an optional thumb release active retention button that can be removed for just passive retention.

2. IWB. I was wearing flannel lined carhart pants with long underwear and I was surprised at how comfortable it was for the brief time I tried it. I don't want to cause unnecessary wear to my flannel lining from the hard plastic shell, so I think I will probably stick with the belt slide OWB option for the winter.

3. OWB Belt slide. Comfortable and very close to the body. With my long shirts and sweaters it conceals very well. Thumbs up!

Lots of YouTube videos on the product This is the last one I watched before ordering.

Last edited by ExFlyinguy; January 22nd, 2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added cost
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

Default Re: Alien Gear Shape Shifter Holster

I have the iwb cloak tuck which is ok and also the paddle which is fine too. I had to get the paddle to coordinate with the cloak dock that is mounted under my CRV's center console/platform/cup holder thingy and the gun is invisible from prying eyes but easily grabbed if needed. What I like about all of these is that you can get an outer shell for just about any gun that mounts to any of the holsters. I can just change the shell to match which gun (shield or full size) I feel like carrying.
    Unfortunately Alien doesn't a shell for my M&P full size when the TLR8 is on it but R&R Holsters fits that bill.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    I have the iwb cloak tuck which is ok and also the paddle which is fine too. I had to get the paddle to coordinate with the cloak dock that is mounted under my CRV's center console/platform/cup holder thingy and the gun is invisible from prying eyes but easily grabbed if needed. What I like about all of these is that you can get an outer shell for just about any gun that mounts to any of the holsters. I can just change the shell to match which gun (shield or full size) I feel like carrying.
    Unfortunately Alien doesn't a shell for my M&P full size when the TLR8 is on it but R&R Holsters fits that bill.
    I hadn't even thought of that. I will probably look into another shell for my glock. Thanks!

I have a SIG 229 and carry it IWB in an Alien Gear 3.0. I am 6'1 235 belly having 53 year old male. I do not have the shape shift but it has to many parts for me and LOVE my 3.0

NOBODY

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by NOBODY View Post
    I have a SIG 229 and carry it IWB in an Alien Gear 3.0. I am 6'1 235 belly having 53 year old male. I do not have the shape shift but it has to many parts for me and LOVE my 3.0

NOBODY
    Hah there are a shit load of pieces. Had to read the OM and watch some youtube videos to figure it out. I think I got the parts that I will need
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

PickingPA Guest

I had the cloak tuck IWB for my Glock 43 for several years, and was impressed with the shirt tuck ability (for the 3 times in 3 years that I actually tucked a dress shirt lol)

When the shape shift came out, I got the setup with an additional shell for my S&W and a mag holster for the G43

I love it! I only use the IWB for G43 mostly in the summer, and belt slide with my S&W in the winter. I’m not a fan of the paddle (sticks out too far) and only tried appendix once with the G43 - never again. I just can’t carry there, not comfortable in any way.

Eventually I will do the under dash mount.

Lifetime warranty and free shell swaps - great product!

(Montgomery County)

I carry a full size 1911. Had a Cloak Tuck 3.0 and moved up to a ShapeShift. The Cloak Tuck was very concealable and comfortable, and the ShapeShift is ever more so. Sometimes I forget I'm carrying.....although, admittedly, my EDC has a lightweight frame.

I only bought the IWB setup since I wouldn't use the others, so I can't comment on those.