Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Savage 1914 Pump Action, Hexagonal Barrel .22 Info

I am currently cleaning up my old plinker, which I never recall not having. It was the family piece and we used it plenty and gave it no respect. I am probably giving it its first cleaning in nearly 60 years and have some questions about it:

1) Savage Model #1914 Serial #46605 and I am having trouble finding a way to date it, apparently there weren't many records kept. Any help?

2) It had a piece of masking tape on the stock with it's make and model # on it, which had been on there for quite some time and the glue residue is stuck there. I started wetting it with ammonia to get it off but that process is altering the finish a little. If need be I could continue that route and do the whole stock to make it uniform but is there another way to remove it without altering the finish? The stock is in good shape.

3) I took a lot of junk out of the barrel but it's still not mirror bright in there, I suspect it's gotten patina'd up. How can I examine the inside of the bore and what would be a good way to clean it up, or should I even bother and just plink with it?

4) I don't recall it ever being nicely blued but it has patina all over it. I am looking for thoughts/recommendations on what to do about that, if anything.

I'll get some pics up after I'm done cleaning and it's reassembled.

Thanks in advance for not crapping in my thread.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Elk County)

Default Re: Savage 1914 Pump Action, Hexagonal Barrel .22 Info

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I am currently cleaning up my old plinker, which I never recall not having. It was the family piece and we used it plenty and gave it no respect. I am probably giving it its first cleaning in nearly 60 years and have some questions about it:

1) Savage Model #1914 Serial #46605 and I am having trouble finding a way to date it, apparently there weren't many records kept. Any help?

2) It had a piece of masking tape on the stock with it's make and model # on it, which had been on there for quite some time and the glue residue is stuck there. I started wetting it with ammonia to get it off but that process is altering the finish a little. If need be I could continue that route and do the whole stock to make it uniform but is there another way to remove it without altering the finish? The stock is in good shape.

3) I took a lot of junk out of the barrel but it's still not mirror bright in there, I suspect it's gotten patina'd up. How can I examine the inside of the bore and what would be a good way to clean it up, or should I even bother and just plink with it?

4) I don't recall it ever being nicely blued but it has patina all over it. I am looking for thoughts/recommendations on what to do about that, if anything.

I'll get some pics up after I'm done cleaning and it's reassembled.

Thanks in advance for not crapping in my thread.
    1) rimfirecentral.com

2) WD40. Mostly oil, so it should improve the stock. May make the spot you soaked with NH4OH look better. Still, try a spot first.

3) Get a stainless steel .22 brush and either Sweets, Butch's Bore Shine, or google "Ed's Red Bore Cleaner and make yourself some of that. Wet the brush in solvent, make 5-6 double passes, run a patch through, & lather, rinse, repeat.

4) Do nothing but wipe down with Eezox or FP10.