Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default New rifle on the way

Well, I got bit. Transferred 2 new Springfield M1A's this week to two brothers. That started it. I have an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Armalite AR-15 (fixed carry handle, 20" barrel, stock everything, basically what used in military other than them being select fire) and an M4 Carbine clone (sub for the select fire M4). Have been wanting to finish collecting the US main battle rifles since the early 1900's. Have been looking at the M1A (sub for the M-14) and the M1903 or M1903A3. Well, this fills one slot.

Palmetto State Armory has a great deal going on, M1A, wood stock, 22" barrel, .308 (7.62x51) for $1200, free shipping. Then send the rifles info to SA and get a free scope mount and 2 more 10 round mags.

So I'm getting there, slowly but surely (I know, "Don't call me Shirley" )
    Last edited by Xringshooter; January 21st, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New rifle on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Well, I got bit. Transferred 2 new Springfield M1A's this week to two brothers. That started it. I have an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Armalite AR-15 (fixed carry handle, 20" barrel, stock everything, basically what used in military other than them being select fire). Have been wanting to finish getting the US main battle rifles since the early 1900's. Have been looking at the M1A (sub for the M-14) and the M1903 or M1903A3. Well, this fills one slot.

Palmetto State Armory has a great deal going on, M1A, wood stock, 22" barrel, .308 (7.62x51) for $1200, free shipping. Then send the rifles info to SA and get a free scope mount and 2 more 10 round mags.

You're a lot older than you look.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a similar goal. I have a 1917, M1, M1A. In AR15's I have 4 with 20" barrels, one without the forward assist, and A1, A2 and A3 configurations. Also a M-forgery. Still need a 1903A3 and M1 Carbine to complete this part of the bucket list.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Chester County)

Well, I got bit. Transferred 2 new Springfield M1A's this week to two brothers. That started it. I have an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Armalite AR-15 (fixed carry handle, 20" barrel, stock everything, basically what used in military other than them being select fire). Have been wanting to finish getting the US main battle rifles since the early 1900's. Have been looking at the M1A (sub for the M-14) and the M1903 or M1903A3. Well, this fills one slot.

I've heard the best accuracy out of a 1903A3 comes with a Smith Corona - 4 rifle lands instead of two. Of course, that's assuming the barrel hasn't been shot out. You can find them sometimes at auction. National Match Garands are also coming on the auction market at reasonable prices. So are '03A4's (scoped version of a 1903A3 with a turned down bolt)...

It never ends....

Don't ask me how I know....
    Last edited by bamboomaster; January 20th, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Allegheny County)

If you're really into accuracy. I'd recommend buying at least the "Loaded" model over the "Standard".
    Accurizing a M1A is a whole other thing after you buy one. There are quite a few "tweaks" and adjustments to get the best accuracy out of a M1A.
    Now if you just want to "plink" with it, then buy the standard.

Check out tonyben2's video's on the M1A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyYx0GpixM
    Last edited by Hawk; January 21st, 2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You're a lot older than you look.
    I see what you did there I know you were (hopefully) funnin' me. Man, if I was that old and feel the way I do right now (pretty darn good even as cold as it is today), I'd be in the record books. I did also have to add that I also have an M4 clone (but a semi auto, I can't afford the real thing).

Hawk,
    Not looking for extreme accuracy, just something to shoot and add to the collection. I do have a line on a M1903A3 that is in very good condition but the guy is waffling about selling it (one day he wants to sell it to thin his guns, the next day he doesn't want to) he says he doesn't shoot it anymore and should get rid of it (he's actually older then me ). So, I'll just bide my time. He already said that he wouldn't sell it to anyone but me, if/when he decides to.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; January 21st, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I see what you did there I know you were (hopefully) funnin' me. Man, if I was that old and feel the way I do right now (pretty darn good even as cold as it is today), I'd be in the record books. I did also have to add that I also have an M4 clone (but a semi auto, I can't afford the real thing).

Hawk,
    Not looking for extreme accuracy, just something to shoot and add to the collection. I do have a line on a M1903A3 that is in very good condition but the guy is waffling about selling it (one day he wants to sell it to thin his guns, the next day he doesn't want to) he says he doesn't shoot it anymore and should get rid of it (he's actually older then me ). So, I'll just bide my time. He already said that he wouldn't sell it to anyone but me, if/when he decides to.
    Cool.
    Good luck on your 03a3 search. I had a nice one and sold it, I also had a nice M1917 and sold it. I used them in CMP matches, but since I was left handed I was handicapped running either of them. I bought a M1A "Loaded" instead. With irons, it can out shoot both the 03A3 and the M1917. Matter of fact the M1A gives my M1 Garand a run for it's money too (by about 10 points).
    Toujours prêt