Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default OK To Order a S&W Revolver Through Gunbroker Or Similar?

OK guys, here's the deal. I've been after a Model 29 for awhile. In local shops, I've found 629s, 29s in 4", etc...but not a blued 29, 6". (I know, 6.5")

When I ask the locals about ordering one, there are apparently none at the distributors. Even Gun Genie shows none in stock. But...there are several on places like Gun Broker. I've checked the normal places on-line, but they too show no inventory.

So...how confident can I feel ordering through Gun Broker, where I can't see it first? Are the Smiths universally "good"? Is the fit and finish consistent?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: OK To Order a S&W Revolver Through Gunbroker Or Similar?

I've done that a couple of times. Haven't been burned. Others have. Maybe wait until the Oaks gun show in February. Scots Guards from this board usually has a table and has S&W revolvers. Others have such as well. At least you can see if the the lockup and other things are good.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Gun Broker, Guns America and Armslist are only entities that serve as marketplaces for individuals - they have no direct impact on the quality of the goods or transaction - they are simply a venue. You have to feel comfortable with whom you are dealing. Look at their feedback, is it an individual or a bricks & mortar store. I've had many successful dealings through the auction sites, but they can be cause for great angst (in the middle of one such transaction now).

The 29's were available with 6.5" barrels into engineering change 2 (29-2). They changed to 6" barrels in 1979 - but still within the same engineering change number. If you want pinned & recessed then you want nothing later than a 29-2 as those features went away with the 29-3's. 29-3E introduced the Endurance Package which is a good thing to have if you intend a steady diet of full-house magnum loads. That package is on all models going forward of the 29-3E.

Here's my 6.5" 29-2...

but I much prefer the Smith's chambered for .44 Special.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; January 20th, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

^^^What he said I've purchased numerous guns off gunbroker, gunsamerica and the like. I just make sure to check out their ratings and feedback. If they have -0- sales I usually pass unless I call and feel comfortable and it's not money order only. I've never been burned yet - knock on wood.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Just go with someone with a lot of feedback/sales/good feedback.
    Ive bought a lot of guns from broker, never a problem, just the suppressor episode.

(Berks County)

Never done it myself but I'd echo what the others have said regarding GB. Armslist is called 'Scamslist' by many and I'd stick to face to face only on that one.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I've bought several guns through gunbroker with no problems. Check Buds guns. I've bought several through them also. Great price, no taxes and free shipping
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Perry County)

I've been on Gunbroker for a decade or more. Never had a problem. As others have said, look for a good amount of feedback as a seller, not just a buyer. Actually read the feedback and look for red flags like half-hearted feedback, slow shipping etc. It should be smooth transactions and glowing feedback.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

Thanks everyone!

I would certainly check the dealer's feedback. My concern is more about the quality of new, blued Smiths. Are they uniformly pretty good...or do I need to see it in person first?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    OK guys, here's the deal. I've been after a Model 29 for awhile. In local shops, I've found 629s, 29s in 4", etc...but not a blued 29, 6". (I know, 6.5")

When I ask the locals about ordering one, there are apparently none at the distributors. Even Gun Genie shows none in stock. But...there are several on places like Gun Broker. I've checked the normal places on-line, but they too show no inventory.

So...how confident can I feel ordering through Gun Broker, where I can't see it first? Are the Smiths universally "good"? Is the fit and finish consistent?
    Check Clayton's in Horsham, I thought I saw a Model 29 in the case the last time I was in there. Give Cabela's in Hamburg a call the last time I was in there they had quite a few SW revolvers in stock. Its also not a bad idea to place a WTB add in the PAFOA classifieds or find a SW forum and place a WTB add. I've never used gunbroker but so long as the seller has excellent feedback you shouldn't have an issue. Negative feedback, new sellers and sellers with limited sales/feedback can be red flags on gunbroker. I've sold a lot on gunsamerica but never purchased anything but they have great listings.
    Last edited by wellcraft; January 20th, 2019 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast