Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: There's something about a good S&W revolver...

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    They also make a stainless steel or blued plug to fill in the hole for the folks who know how to handle a secure a hand gun.
    It's also been suggested that defeating the safety could get you crucified should that gun be used, ever...

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    It's also been suggested that defeating the safety could get you crucified should that gun be used, ever...
    I don’t think your defeating anything your just putting a plug over it not removing it.

Unless there’s some real case law it’s just more internet hearsay and arm chair lawyering.

Aftermarket triggers, safety to decocker conversions, red dot sights, lasers, engraved dust covers. In the end it’s all going to get you locked up per the internet and the list never ends.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    It's a lock, not a safety. It only works like an external trigger lock and has no bearing once removed.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lehigh County)

I have 6 newer S&W revolvers - Governor, 617, 637, 649, 66, 686. I've never had a problem with the locks on any of them. I think I have a key in my gun bag but have never had to use it.
    NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

I have a nice collection of S&Ws. A 36 no dash, a 1940 model 10, 5-screw, nickel plated which my Dad carried as a Phila police officer, a Victory, and a 686-3.

I also have a Colt Det Special circa 1961 which I carried for years. It is so out of time a gunsmith gave up on it. I bought it for the sixth shot. Should have bought a Smith 5-shot.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I have 6 newer S&W revolvers - Governor, 617, 637, 649, 66, 686. I've never had a problem with the locks on any of them. I think I have a key in my gun bag but have never had to use it.
    The possible auto activation issues were with the Scandium framed models due to the light weight and flex. Taurus has used this locking system for much longer then Smith and I’ve never read or experienced the issues.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I shot a friend's model 36-1 last week and it was a lot of fun. The gun has about 90% bluing and there are no visible scratches as such. The Smith and Wesson revolver were nicely made back then but I wouldn't buy a new one because of the Hillary hole on the side of the frame. Smith could increase their sales quite a bit if they weren't so dead set on gun control measures like that stupid lock. Hell, maybe they don't want to sell more revolvers.
    Everybody jumps on the I/L but for me the line is more distinct at hammer mounted firing pin vs frame mounted. I will continue to buy new smith revolvers however. Smith and Wesson makes the best revolvers in my opinion.

The new colt king cobra looks good and I will add one soon as I see one. The cobra is nice, bulge at the back of the barrel was a visual faux pas. Love my detective specials but colt abandoned the revolver market while Smith kept plugging along.

I want well made American revolvers so I buy new Smiths along with old ones.

P.S. I was in a lgs Thursday and they had a super clean hi way patrolmen for 599. If I didn’t already have one in the same condition I’d have snapped it up. If anyone wants to know where be first to ask, I’ll pm you.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The possible auto activation issues were with the Scandium framed models due to the light weight and flex. Taurus has used this locking system for much longer then Smith and I’ve never read or experienced the issues.

I know I read of it happening with all steel guns too. I remember one guy who wrote about the lock. He poo pooed the idea until it happened to him and then changed his mind. I never had it happen. I believe it can. Keep a key on your car key ring. If you look at how much of the hammer is exposed between the lock and no lock frames you can see it’s not just a hole but rather an uglifacation (borrowed from Tim Allen’s santafication) of the frame.

(Lancaster County)

^ seems you’ve exceeded the amount of PMs or everyone on the forum is asking where that highway patrolman^

Unless you’re sworn to secrecy already I’d love to know what shop it’s at. If anyone asks after me feel free to tell them as I won’t be able to get there at least till the weekend. And then there’s no guarantee I’d buy it anyway, I leave most things up to fate lately. I’m also wondering if you remember the barrel length. I’m still kicking myself in the ass for letting an 8 3/8 barreled 27 sit in the case at more outdoors for weeks. I had just picked up my 29-2 and thought that would satisfy my urge for a while. Just about the time I realized it wouldn’t that 28 was gone. Thanks, Brian
    Last edited by bripro; January 22nd, 2019 at 10:48 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Berks County)

Bipro the pm is sent. Good luck. It is just sitting there but for how long, so nice. One guy working there is thinking about buying it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast