Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: There's something about a good S&W revolver...

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I'm not into revolvers at all, but my Model 10 is one of my favorite guns, partly for the history. This was a NYPD cop's duty weapon. It looks all business-like, with the holster wear on the muzzle and the Pachmayr grips. The S&W leather retention holster has hundreds of tiny dings from the patrol car's seat belt buckle and some scuffs and scrapes that look like the cop had been in a few street scuffles. The owner likely carried this gun his entire career. Aside from that, you don't have to be a gun guy to appreciate that it's a fine piece of machinery. The action, the trigger, everything about it is tight and silky smooth. Every single person who has ever shot or dry-fired it has handed it back to me with a big smile on their face and said "wow, that's really nice!" This is a serious piece of craftsmanship.

I shot that 10 at a group shoot. the double action trigger pull is amazing. i own a bunch of smith revolvers and it beats anything i have hands down.

I'm not into revolvers at all, but my Model 10 is one of my favorite guns, partly for the history. This was a NYPD cop's duty weapon. It looks all business-like, with the holster wear on the muzzle and the Pachmayr grips. The S&W leather retention holster has hundreds of tiny dings from the patrol car's seat belt buckle and some scuffs and scrapes that look like the cop had been in a few street scuffles. The owner likely carried this gun his entire career. Aside from that, you don't have to be a gun guy to appreciate that it's a fine piece of machinery. The action, the trigger, everything about it is tight and silky smooth. Every single person who has ever shot or dry-fired it has handed it back to me with a big smile on their face and said "wow, that's really nice!" This is a serious piece of craftsmanship.
    I love revolvers because they are firearms, and I love all firearms, however I know that they cannot and never will replace a good semi auto for pretty much anything with the exception of very deep concealment, a contact shot back up gun or hunting some specific game in large calibers.

That being said everyone needs a good .357 especially in a Model 19 with factory combat grips in their lives.

Last edited by Hodgie; January 20th, 2019 at 02:45 PM.

(Chester County)

I shot a friend's model 36-1 last week and it was a lot of fun. The gun has about 90% bluing and there are no visible scratches as such. The Smith and Wesson revolver were nicely made back then but I wouldn't buy a new one because of the Hillary hole on the side of the frame. Smith could increase their sales quite a bit if they weren't so dead set on gun control measures like that stupid lock. Hell, maybe they don't want to sell more revolvers.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Best S&W duty revolver made,accurate,dependable,and the bull barrel made for a quick incapacitating clunk to the noggin,we had them until graduating to the 66,then the 686,then 1st gen Glocks.i miss my Model 10 !
    I just like the look of the bull barrel. I didn't know it was functional.

(Allegheny County)

Yes I found your smith to have an amazing buttery trigger and accurate too! Better trigger than my smiths !

(Lebanon County)

i have a thing for model 10s and it's kissing cousin model 13.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(McKean County)

Excellent posts!
    During archery season I carry a 13-1.
    My EDC is a 60-10, 3" SS.
    You just don't get too many arguments with a 357...
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I shot a friend's model 36-1 last week and it was a lot of fun. The gun has about 90% bluing and there are no visible scratches as such. The Smith and Wesson revolver were nicely made back then but I wouldn't buy a new one because of the Hillary hole on the side of the frame. Smith could increase their sales quite a bit if they weren't so dead set on gun control measures like that stupid lock. Hell, maybe they don't want to sell more revolvers.
    They make a few models without locks still.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    They make a few models without locks still.
    They also make a stainless steel or blued plug to fill in the hole for the folks who know how to handle a secure a hand gun.

(Lancaster County)

Ill chime in on this one, here is probably my two favorite wheelguns, M649 and M657 Mountain Gun

P1050401.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast