Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
The fact that we still have semi-autos after some of the most horrific mass shootings imaginable is a good indicator of the influence of the NRA. It's amazing to me that some of you don't see that. This "what have you done for me lately" level of rhetoric is absurd. There is no point in the NRA wasting money where they absolutely can't succeed. Looking at CA, NJ, NY and the other states that have been taken over by progressives.

As to enhanced PA preemption, our legislators screwed that up royally. Either by design or supreme incompetence, we don't have it. And as soon as Wolf took the reigns, we weren't going to get it. Why should the NRA lobby for legislation knowing it will be vetoed?

To give some clarity, the NRA works closely with legislators. They attempt to stop bad law before it happens. That's a more effective strategy than filing a suit to have it overturned. (See the ACA) They work to inform legislators and the POTUS about the negatives of legislation when everybody feels good about this great new idea. Whether it's including the no-fly list in background checks or shouting that red-flag laws must include due process.

I do believe the NRA has done a very poor job of money management and that needs to be addressed. It would appear they may have gotten used to the money rolling in and treated themselves to luxuries that weren't warranted.

Without pointing the finger at anyone, it's clear from this and other threads that some of you have no idea how our government actually operates. I encourage everyone to take the time to read about the ins and outs of the legislative process, how the sausage gets made if you will. How our legislators throw legislation out there as red meat for certain groups, knowing it will go nowhere. How procedural votes are used to kill legislation. How legislators will bargain with one another to vote "yes" on something they oppose to give them cover in their district.

The way the NRA is most effective, beyond reminding legislators that are casually pro-gun about the negatives of certain legislation, is the big stick they carry. Many politicians have wailed about the NRA being the cause for their defeat. Between the membership and the non-members that follow the NRA's lead, many politicians know that crossing them is the end of their career. The more the NRA is weakened, the smaller that sticks becomes.

No doubt, they've made some missteps. But they are also the victim of some very well done hit pieces by the antis. When I see pro-2A folks using sources like Mother Jones, Vox, Rolling Stone and The Daily Beast to attack the NRA, I have to wonder if they're actually pro-2A or are they just that stupid to carry the water for their enemies. Add to that, the "no compromise" folks that have a soapbox and not the slightest idea how the process works and you have a recipe for some crushing defeats in regards to gun laws.

You took the words out of my mouth.