Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Is it worth

(Allegheny County)

Question Is it worth

Chasing .2 of a grain of powder? I have a Lee turret press and it throws 4.2 grains of powder consistently. The bull's-eye loading chart says 4.4 grains is the maximum. My pistol is rated plus P. Is it worth taking some fine sandpaper and reaming the hole on the disc to achieve .2 more grains. On occasion I get a FTE and was wondering if that would make it a rarer occasion. Thanks Joe

(Chester County)

Default Re: Is it worth

No, as a rule, you should not load to the maximum. Now, in reality, that max may be what your firearm performs best with. That being said, if you are 0.2 grains away from the max and your pistol is still choking, the problem likely lies with the gun, not the ammo.

Check the spent brass for powder or carbon residue around the mouth. If there's a lot, chances are your load is soft. Also be sure you're crimp is OK. Check that your ejector/extractor is operating as normal by firing factory ammo through the firearm with the issues.

Here's my procedure for determining a load:

1) Find the powder suitable for my cartridge.
    2) Start with a middle of the road loading, typically 10% down from the published max.
    3) Load 50, shoot 50. If my ejection pattern is good, weapon cycles, and bullets go generally where I want them to, I stop, go home, and load as many as I need and then some.
    4) If gun does not cycle (FTE/FTF on an otherwise reliable gun), I may look at the various causes for issues. If it is a FTE, I examine the case for powder/carbon residue. If there is a good bit of fouling around the cartridge, I know my load was weak and I should up the charge a bit. If the cartridge looks good, primer doesn't look flattened, I inspect the gun for ejector/extractor wear or crud in the action. If its a FTF, I look into the same issues as above, but also look at my COAL, seating depth, and bullet profile. Example: CZ's have short chambers and I found this out because the gun didn't want to go fully into battery with my normal 9mm load that's worked in several other firearms.

What is your exact load? What are you shooting it out of? Please be specific and include caliber, COAL, bullet weight and type, and primer selection (you've already given us the 4.2 gr of Bullseye).
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Lee makes a micrometer insert to replace the disk. It costs about $10. If you are worried about it buy one. You can dial in the exact amount of powder.

Instead of loading to max, I would look at a lighter recoil spring. I run one a couple pounds lighter than stock in my G34 so I can shoot lighter loads. It also helps with muzzle rise since the gun cycles faster.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lycoming County)

In my experience, Max loads are very rarely the most accurate. I wouldn't worry about it if everything is functioning well and your hitting where your aiming. If you're being that consistent with loading and having FTE's I would think something else is the issue as well. Run some factory and see if the issue persists. Myself I'd be looking at the recoil spring or extractor more than the load.

(Montgomery County)

I agree, either get the micrometer, or get a separate powder thrower just to check out new loads. Crimp or bullet weight can also get you closer to the load you want. That's the real quesiton, what load do you want, what load does your gun want. If it's cycling fine, but your looking for better ballistics or your grouping is a mess (and you have removed shooter and gun from the equation) then might want to look at burn rate.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks everybody, some great info here. I purchased some factory ammo as suggested. Now the weather has become a factor, I bought the factory stuff and I'll try if we get a break in the weather. I looked at some spent cases and there is soot around the mouth of them. How much is too much. I'm using 115 grain, copper coated bullet. CZ 75 b

(Allegheny County)

CZ 75 B. S&B primers. What is COAL ? What are short chambers. I use 115 grain copper coated round nose bullets. Every bullet I reload goes into a Wilson gauge just to make sure that the seat properly- and no case bulge.
    On a personal note, I think you have a super amount of knowledge, for being 27 years old.