Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crow Hunin

(Allegheny County)

Default Crow Hunin

Hey sorry if there's already a crow thread but i wanted to ask some questions. I am new to crow hunting and basically hunting in general and last Sunday a friend and I went out in search of some crow. I guess im just a noob because all i called in were around 3 or 4 crows about 150 yards away. i think my location was bad too i was at the PA Game lands In Wexford. i just wanted to know if anyone knew of any good crow locations or good techniques to help a noob like myself. Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Crow Hunin

im not an avid crow hunter, but i have done it many times...the best advice i can give you is to get the crow call tape, i have the one when they are fighting with an owl and it works great, and cover is the key to getting them to come in close enough, thick brush and corn work well and also i have a few crow decoys ill set in the field/ woods and an owl decoy as well...i would get the loudest stereo i could get my hands on, they will come in no matter where you are if they here the tape, but like i said to make sure you are well hidden, they're eyesight is ridiculously good. i wouldnt start blasting at the first 2-3
    that come in, i would wait because its not uncommon to get a flock of 50 to come to the tape...hope i helped
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Allegheny County)

I got a bunch in my front yard every day. If I weren't so apathetic I could consider shooting them but I'm not going to hunt anything I won't eat.

(Allegheny County)

i wish i could camo but with small game u have to have orange vest n hat right?
    If you aint dippin, You aint livin

(Columbia County)

Find something dead or they seem to like cheese doodles a lot scatter a bag and call till one comes in then let is carry on for a bit and more will come i wack em wit the 17 hmr.
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(York County)

yes you are right about the orange (250 in) if you want to get all into it, i would put some sort of a blind right over top of you, or just get the best cover you can, like i said corn works fairly well, but your best bet is an over the top blind or a thick tree you can stand under, btw these are the tactics i use while hunting them with a shotgun, not a rifle

(Allegheny County)

Thanks hopefully I will be more sucessfull im gonna take my 22 mag NeXt

lol, Crow hunting can be alot of fun. I don't do alot of it, but what others are saying is correct in my experience. Good cover helps, or being able to shoot a good ways helps also. I'll usually let a small flock gather and shoot one from a ways. If you get a caller that will play the "distress" while one is injured (winged) they will go CRAZY. They will sometimes attack the crow that is running around crazy, lol. Then you just go to down, all sorts of fun happens. In my experience, dog food works pretty good too .

(York County)

i didnt even think of the distress call tape (for one i didnt know they made it) but tomcat is right about them going crazy for a distressed one of their own...i was on a local farm this summer and there was a flock of crows (30-50) in the cow field and i just so happened to have my .17 hmr, so i laid in the prone and ranged it and it was 204 yards, i cut that thing loose (i held about 3 inches high, sighted in @ 50 BTW) and was lucky enough to smack the lil guy, but it didnt kill him right away and he jumped and cawed around and that flock went NUTZ, i mean absolutely crazy, i never heard a flock of crows get so pissed

(Allegheny County)

Well Does anyone know of some good places to find crows and is legal..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast