Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR receiver rough external finish

I have a rifle with an upper receiver that's rough to the touch, like really fine sand paper.

It doesn't impact the function or handling, but then oiling or cleaning it's actually rough enough to pull fibers from a microfiber cloth or even a jerseycloth patch leaving the receiver covered in lint. It also sticks to foam in gun cases and is hard to pull out of a gun sock.

Short of a permanent coating like dura or Cerakote, is there any way to smooth things out a bit so this thing doesn't stick to everything fabric?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: AR receiver rough external finish

You could try a fine scotch brite pad. Grey is an ulta fine pad. Try rubbing it down with that. Obviously in a inconspicuous area first. Or recoat it all. Good time to do a custom color.

Plenty of people in the area that do cerakote including me.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Monroe County)

It was made this way? If so by who? Or did someone screw with it?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

I was thinking a mild abrasive, but was hoping there was an easy answer like "oh yeah, try Mike's miracle snakeoil!"

I'll take a look this evening, see if there's a nice inconspicuous place on the upper to try some buffing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    It was made this way? If so by who? Or did someone screw with it?
    Made this way; upper was gifted to me so I don't know who actually made it as there are no markings - I have a call in to the guy that gave it to me to ask.

It was marketed as a blem from a reputable manufacturer, and I'm thinking this is the blem.

(Bucks County)

Look for an embossed forge logo. That could be a clue to its maker.

Suggest remove receiver from the lower, find a spot that would not show, and rub it with 0000 or maybe 000 steel wool and an oil. It may knock off the sharp tops of the grain without destroying the shade and hue. Or, doing the whole upper may yield a satisfactory finish that is smoother.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Made this way; upper was gifted to me so I don't know who actually made it as there are no markings - I have a call in to the guy that gave it to me to ask.

It was marketed as a blem from a reputable manufacturer, and I'm thinking this is the blem.
    Got to have markers marking. OR it's someone's fucked up 80%? Or worse bought it in the white and filed it to shape. sounds shady
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Got to have markers marking. OR it's someone's fucked up 80%? Or worse bought it in the white and filed it to shape. sounds shady
    Upper, not a lower so no markings necessary.

Fit is good, machining is good, just a rough finish. Definitely a factory piece, nothing shady going on.

(Allegheny County)

Going to leave it be for now.

Tried hitting it with some brass wool, and the area of the receiver is now brass colored. Steel wool, steel colored. Scotchbrite - same color as the pad (used several). Doesn't matter if I use it wet or dry. All of the spots no longer pick up lint/tear fabric, but they look pretty funny.

So for now it's kinda rough, but it's all the same color, so it'll stay that way until I decide I want to change the whole color scheme.

(Bucks County)

Toothbrush and Dawn. Or maybe Hoppe's #9. See if that will remove the discolorations and restore the original color.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast