Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Educate me: thinking next purchases should be plates and carrier

So over the next couple months at least I'm thinking I should make the plunge and buy a carrier and plates. I should have some disposable $$$ and now seems a better time than ever. I was browsing BFG and saw they have a couple different carries and I know their stuff is quality. Thinking about something like this and a couple lightweight plates:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/plateminus.html

Any other carrier suggestions? And while we're at it, what's your preferred plate? Or soft panel, for that matter? Is there a reason to spend the extra $$$ on a plate capable of stopping M855 over one that does x39 and M193?

Default Re: Educate me: thinking next purchases should be plates and carrier

When I think about plate carriers, I think of the people that made it all the way through WW2 getting shot at with just a pair of boots and a tin bump cap. Then I just buy another $800 worth of ammo. I use a LBV, I don't plan on being used for target practice. I like being able to move and I don't like sweating to death all day.
    Best of all they are like 20 bucks with the belt. May be old school, but I'm old. It's better then having a $900 plate carrier sitting in a box for just in case...

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/29...SABEgLIqfD_BwE

But if you need it for work and you are going to actually use it, that's a different situation all together... Don't go cheap with the plates or the vest will weigh over 20 pounds, then add full 30 round mags and mag pouches and it gets up there.

My LBV weighs almost nothing so I can carry more water but I will probably never need to use it, I have had it over 30 years and it's still hanging in the closet.
    Last edited by :-); January 12th, 2019 at 12:28 AM.

(Montgomery County)

How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Clearfield County)

(Bucks County)

I have an SKD Paraclete carrier with plates..should have saved up and gotten lighter plates as I have the RMA level 4s. They weight about 8lbs a piece so a bit on the heavy side, but the carrier is great, very lightweight and has pockets for side armor..

I really like the RMA stuff but I will probably will get some lighter plates in the future...looking at soft body armor from bulletproofme.com
    Last edited by Pag23; January 12th, 2019 at 06:34 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    When I think about plate carriers, I think of the people that made it all the way through WW2 getting shot at with just a pair of boots and a tin bump cap. Then I just buy another $800 worth of ammo. I use a LBV, I don't plan on being used for target practice. I like being able to move and I don't like sweating to death all day.
    Best of all they are like 20 bucks with the belt. May be old school, but I'm old. It's better then having a $900 plate carrier sitting in a box for just in case...

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/29...SABEgLIqfD_BwE

But if you need it for work and you are going to actually use it, that's a different situation all together... Don't go cheap with the plates or the vest will weigh over 20 pounds, then add full 30 round mags and mag pouches and it gets up there.

My LBV weighs almost nothing so I can carry more water but I will probably never need to use it, I have had it over 30 years and it's still hanging in the closet.
    I did buy a chest rig from BFG yesterday, too, just so I have both options. Figure I'll start out with the less expensive stuff first and take my time researching carriers, plate options, so on.

Let me throw this out there: Given a general calamity, do you guys see a hard plate as being a necessity over soft? Obviously soft will get you through pistol rounds and that's most of what you'll see. Or is this one of those better to have it and not need it kinda things?

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    I did buy a chest rig from BFG yesterday, too, just so I have both options. Figure I'll start out with the less expensive stuff first and take my time researching carriers, plate options, so on.

Let me throw this out there: Given a general calamity, do you guys see a hard plate as being a necessity over soft? Obviously soft will get you through pistol rounds and that's most of what you'll see. Or is this one of those better to have it and not need it kinda things?
    Here is my other thought on plate carriers for a SHTF situation that I hope will never happen. Get hit with a round anywhere other then that 10" x 12" plate, It's not like you can call for a medic. Get hit from the side through the shoulder and the armor isn't going to help you at all. Same as head, neck, leg, arm or anywhere. You are in a serious situation and need help right away. It's better to stay as small as possible and be able to move, not get shot in the first place and that is possible with some common sense.

I would buy at least a level 4 if I was going to just have it for the hell of it.

Last edited by :-); January 12th, 2019 at 09:24 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Anything that can stop M193 can stop M855. It's all about the velocity for that situation. Level 3 steel plates can usually stop M855 but won't stop M193 especially at CQB distances or from a 20" barrel.

Definitely go with one of the harder level 3+ plates. It will only run you a few bucks more and you can stop the most common round in America.

Steel vs composite: steel is more durable and can take rougher handling, much cheaper and heavier. Composite is expensive and lighter.

Browse AR500ARMOR, Spartan Armor, CATI armor, all seem to have good reviews.

I do workout with my carrier so at least it's not money sitting around for something that will probably never happen.

This is a good video about level 3+ plates.
    I know what you are saying about training and working out with the plate carriers but when you get up there in years, after all that running, hiking, rappelling, rock climbing, weight lifting and training. You will know why OUNCES LEAD TO POUNDS, POUNDS LEAD TO PAIN! It's all fun and games when you are 20 to 50 then it's all down hill from there. You don't realize you destroyed your joints and back until it's too late...

Last edited by :-); January 12th, 2019 at 09:39 AM.

(Chester County)

There is formed poly now in Level 3 that isn't that expensive and you won't become an boat anchor like steel plates if you need to go through water. I have the poly armor let's see if I can find the real name of the stuff. Polyethylene or UHMWPE

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast