Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Remington issue...

I have two Remington 597 models I bought at Dicks back in 2013. Both are quite accurate, and shoot nice. But, neither have cycled ammo worth a darn, and when I tried returning them to Dicks, I was told they don't accept returns...so they've been in the back of one of my gun cabinets. Last week, I contacted Remington, and they said they want both of them in their shop for evaluation. They are sending me two boxes, and have already sent me the shipping information.

Before I send the rifles to them, has anyone had experience with their service before? Will I likely be charged, even though they requested I send them in to them? Their email to me states:

We do apologize for your experience with Remington. We would like to have this firearm brought in for evaluation. Please provide the following information:
    Complete name
    Physical Address
    Telephone
    Serial Number

Once this information is received you will be sent a FedEx label that will allow you to send in the defective firearm.
    Thank you,
    Remington Consumer Services

I know that they only have a 1 year warranty. but I'm not so sure sending them in is the right thing to do, unless it's a known problem that they are repairing free of charge.

Personally, I believe the cycling issue is in the magazines...I don't care for how they are somewhat double stacked without a long enough throat to move them into proper position. I've tried picking up other magazines for them, but with the same issue.

Does anyone have advice to give?
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Remington issue...

Make a second contact and ask?

(Blair County)

you could send them one at a time and see .
    i sent a gun to smith & Wesson they told me how much too fix because it was not covered .

(Northampton County)

I had to send a Remington Model 7 back for repair. I bought the rifle second hand they never charged me. I had a Model 597 years ago worked great but the mags are JUNK. I threw the one I got with the gun away and bought another that worked just fine. I'd try that first.

(Allegheny County)

After calling Remington again, and describing the issue in greater detail, they finally understood the issue is with the magazines, not the rifle or it's action. The decided to ship a couple brand new, coated, black magazines to run through, and it was the fix the rifle needed. It is accurate, shoots very, very good, and will even cycle through Thunderbolts quite well.

I made an order direct from Remington for 6 more of these new revised magazines, and have broken down the old magazines to thoroughly clean and polish the works, then will spray it all down again with dry film lube and try them out again. The new revised black magazines are coated with a product from the manufacturer that makes them slick. Once I figure out what the coating is, I may contact some friends I have at Tech Metal in Dayton, Ohio and see about getting that coating applied to the old magazine bodies.

I'm really happy with the service that Remington offered, after I got through about 3 people to someone who actually understood the workings of the 597. I sent photos and a video to show what was happening, and the engineer I spoke with knew the problem well. I didn't have to send the rifles in, which is something I wasn't interested in doing. I don't like sending firearms out due to time in their shop before they finally get to it. I had a Remington Nylon Apache 77 almost 30 years ago that I had to send in for warranty work, and they held on to it for nearly 9 months. Luckily, when they sent it back, they threw in a couple additional magazines and the rifle was perfect...probably the best sights on a rifle out of the box I've ever had.

If you own a 597, and are having, or have had, issues with feeding from the aluminum magazines, call Remington about it. Get through to someone that understands, and see if they'll send you, free of charge like me, the new revised black magazines.

I now change my mind about the company...

(Beaver County)

Cerakote makes a product called Microslick. It is a self lubricating ceramic coating. Silver in color. Look into having that done to the mags. I have shotgun bolts and carriers coated in it.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Good info...I may give this a shot.