Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 17 of 95 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: *****Harrisburg Rally, 5/6/19*****

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I'd prefer embroidered.
    I'm preferential to embroidery too. Thinner profile and looks more finished.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    It's not only Libertarians. Conservative gun owners are no better.

Right now, FOAC is the only statewide organization (NRA & GOA are national). In the past 3 years, I have seen two others try to go statewide and fail.

With any statewide group, given time, it will piss off gun owners because we are a naturally ornery bunch. So, those pissed off members leave & go "start their own". They get one going pretty good, and not long after, it collapses.

What we currently have across the state is a number of small groups. It seems to me we need to identify them, and establish a means to communicate among them.

My thought almost a year ago, which did not really get off the ground, was to create POOFA area leaders. That is, guys in various areas (counties or regions) who take responsibility for communicating with gun stores, ranges, and other small groups in their geographic area. With an event that has advance notice like 2A Day May 6th, the area leader (with additional volunteers) has a list of stores/ranges, goes to them, gives them flyers to distribute and then checks off the list.

This is what the 2nd Amendment Committee (of the LVTP) does in the Lehigh Valley and it works reasonably well, most of the time.
    Thank you. Well said and good ideas.

And I hope everyone knows I wasn't trying to be critical of the enthusiasm. I think it's great.

And Longcall hit the nail on head, "our types" are very ornery and independent unlike the "other side" which will go in lock step without much thought.

I think the county/regional idea is very smart. If this gets any legs, I can commit for Mercer County. My only problem would be social media.....I don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
    Thank you. Well said and good ideas.

And I hope everyone knows I wasn't trying to be critical of the enthusiasm. I think it's great.

And Longcall hit the nail on head, "our types" are very ornery and independent unlike the "other side" which will go in lock step without much thought.

I think the county/regional idea is very smart. If this gets any legs, I can commit for Mercer County. My only problem would be social media.....I don't do it.

I'm also not trying to be too critical, but that's a problem.

This Pittsburgh Rally was mostly successful due to social media blasting, not posting on PAFOA. We were able to bring together many diverse groups because of social media. The media reports about it being a stereotypical white male cock fest are demonstrably false and that's due in large part to independent social media streaming.

A lot of planning for the next steps are currently occurring on social media pages and private chats. Those that refuse to use social media are being left out of the greater conversation.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post

This Pittsburgh Rally was mostly successful due to social media blasting, not posting on PAFOA. We were able to bring together many diverse groups because of social media. The media reports about it being a stereotypical white male cock fest are demonstrably false and that's due in large part to independent social media streaming.

A lot of planning for the next steps are currently occurring on social media pages and private chats. Those that refuse to use social media are being left out of the greater conversation.
    I'll "restart" my FB. (If you knew me, you'd know that this is a huge step and huge sign of commitment. )

Edit: FB is active again.
    Last edited by PA_Robert; January 12th, 2019 at 02:20 PM.

(Lycoming County)

If I do a FB or Instagram, I'll do it under my other online monicer. I'd rather not have to deal with it, but if that's what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
    I'll "restart" my FB. (If you knew me, you'd know that this is a huge step and huge sign of commitment. )

I certainly don't want folks to do something they simply don't want to do, I'm just making a point. This rally went from 5 of us in a private chat saying "let's rally" to 600+ people showing up on those steps in 2 weeks. Social media makes things happen faster than flyers and forum posts. That being said, those things still have a place as well. Everyone can play a part. You (the general you) don't want to do social media but will hand out flyers? GREAT, we can certainly use you. Want to make phone calls? Emails? Etc? Also great! It all matters. In fact, I just told someone privately that if there are guys that want to work those avenues, it lessens my burden where I can focus on social media aspects.

It's all important. My ultimate point is that I believe that the use of social media has the ability to keep the momentum going. Also, for as anti gun as Facebook is, not once did they interfere with anything we posted, planned, or discussed about the Pittsburgh Rally. However, one of our organizers is on a 7 day timeout for something.

85% of those in Pittsburgh went because Kaitlin was going to be there! :-)

On a serious note, I don't suggest that we ignore social media, but if we can get to gun clubs, stores and small groups, they all include the people who are generally most passionate. It is a well known fact that online communities do not translate well to 'in-person' activities. Doesn't mean they should be ignored, but probably not relied on solely if we truly want turnout. Seems that all avenues should be pursued. It is more a matter of getting people to do it. 3 or 4 people on social media can get a lot done. Doing the area leader thing is labor intensive and we have a shortage of volunteers.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    85% of those in Pittsburgh went because Kaitlin was going to be there! :-)

On a serious note, I don't suggest that we ignore social media, but if we can get to gun clubs, stores and small groups, they all include the people who are generally most passionate. It is a well known fact that online communities do not translate well to 'in-person' activities. Doesn't mean they should be ignored, but probably not relied on solely if we truly want turnout. Seems that all avenues should be pursued. It is more a matter of getting people to do it. 3 or 4 people on social media can get a lot done. Doing the area leader thing is labor intensive and we have a shortage of volunteers.
    That's why you should strongly urge our mutual ally to have her in Harrisburg.

I addressed the rest of your comments in a follow up post. I agree with you.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm a believer in social media. I get a lot of information I would never even be aware of otherwise. Justin is right, this last rally was a pure grass roots explosion. I witnessed it from start to finish. By tagging friends posts with information about the rally I spread the word to each and everyone of there friends. I'm sure there were at least a few at the rally because of this. It spread like fire.

I'd be willing to take on Westmoreland County if we start organizing. If anybody want s to hook up on facebook send me a PM.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Carbon County)

Got vacation time coming up. Going to try and make this one.

Page 17 of 95 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast