Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 43 of 95 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Default Re: *****Harrisburg Rally, 5/9/19*****

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    The rally was always outside, and then everyone came inside to talk to the legislators. The attendance might have been larger last year, but you couldn't tell from looking at the pictures - you can't see the people down the hallways or outside.
    Actually, it wasn't always outside. This is the 14th annual 2A Day put on by Rep Metcalfe. It started inside, grew too large, was moved outside, shrunk drastically for maybe 7 years, and came back inside probably 3 years ago. If you came to the last of those outside, you know there were no more than 150 people. It looked ridiculous. In fact, it did more harm than good, IMO.

When it moved inside, we still had 150-200 people, but at least it looked like a decent size group.

Last year was a sudden, sharp increase with probably 700 inside and another 200 outside. Filling the rotunda and going to overflow is impressive and shows the size of the 2A community well. And yes, size matters. Generally (but not always) legislators pay close attention to the size of the group that is lobbying and use it as a measure of strength. They know how big various interest groups are by how much of the rotunda the group occupies. So there is good reason to fill the rotunda to capacity.

Further, with everyone inside at the start, we can hit offices immediately after the rally and before they to go into session at 1 PM. Otherwise, it takes 30-40 minutes to get through the door, never mind if you need to check a gun.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    Actually, it wasn't always outside. This is the 14th annual 2A Day put on by Rep Metcalfe. It started inside, grew too large, was moved outside, shrunk drastically for maybe 7 years, and came back inside probably 3 years ago. If you came to the last of those outside, you know there were no more than 150 people. It looked ridiculous. In fact, it did more harm than good, IMO.

When it moved inside, we still had 150-200 people, but at least it looked like a decent size group.

Last year was a sudden, sharp increase with probably 700 inside and another 200 outside. Filling the rotunda and going to overflow is impressive and shows the size of the 2A community well. And yes, size matters. Generally (but not always) legislators pay close attention to the size of the group that is lobbying and use it as a measure of strength. They know how big various interest groups are by how much of the rotunda the group occupies. So there is good reason to fill the rotunda to capacity.

Further, with everyone inside at the start, we can hit offices immediately after the rally and before they to go into session at 1 PM. Otherwise, it takes 30-40 minutes to get through the door, never mind if you need to check a gun.
    Yeah, I remember the last one outside and it was kinda pathetic. Hopefully we can get to the point where the rotunda and the front steps are both full.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Lets discuss the after party party! Anyone up for a meet and greet cookout at our farm afterwards? We are only 15-20 minutes south, down I-83 towards York. I figure it's the least I can do for anyone willing to make the trek and give up a day of work. Just my way of saying thanks for years of friendship and great info!

I'm thinking the rally, two hours to see your reps, add a bit of travel, and maybe we start a cookout at 1PM? That would allow some time for members to hang out, share war stories, and grab a bite before heading to their respective corners of the state. From here you can get to the Burgh in 3:15, Allentown 1:40, Kennett Square in 1:45, Philly in 2, and New Hope in 2:20.

I was figuring I could provide burgers and hot dogs, buns and condiments, and anyone coming could bring chips, snacks, or drinks (or bacon!). If we've got 6-10 people interested I'll start a new a new thread with more information.
    I'm totally up for some extra hang out time with everyone. I live close enough to Harrisburg that this wouldn't be a problem for me. I'll just need an address.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I'm totally up for some extra hang out time with everyone. I live close enough to Harrisburg that this wouldn't be a problem for me. I'll just need an address.
    Even with the address, his place can be tough to find. It's kind of like the Isla de la Muerte, it can only be found by those that already know where it is.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Even with the address, his place can be tough to find. It's kind of like the Isla de la Muerte, it can only be found by those that already know where it is.
    Well then maybe someone will have to guide me there. If I have my motorcycle back by then I'll be riding it, weather permitting.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

which is why i've always thought addresses were a stupid idea.
    humans used to be able to remember phone numbers, would coordinates be such a stretch?
    some gps systems even let you enter them, and a paper map would even work to aid you in finding your destination.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Allegheny County)

Was the turn out last year way bigger because Moon Kook-jin was there? I noticed a TON of people with Kahr arms gear on. Is some one with an equally big following slated for this year or perhaps Moon Kook-jin could come back again?

Unless it's going to poor down rain I'll probably OC an AR outside. I highly doubt either of my gun grabbing reps would have the balls the be in the office. They weren't last year.

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Was the turn out last year way bigger because Moon Kook-jin was there? I noticed a TON of people with Kahr arms gear on. Is some one with an equally big following slated for this year or perhaps Moon Kook-jin could come back again?

Unless it's going to poor down rain I'll probably OC an AR outside. I highly doubt either of my gun grabbing reps would have the balls the be in the office. They weren't last year.
    The sharp increase in crowd size wasn't Moon. While I believe he was invited again this year, speakers have not yet been announced.

The reason for the swell was the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (Parkland, FL) shooting and the immediate aftermath where Dems and school students across the country were demanding full bans on all firearms.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Berks County)

Does he have enough room to land a Cessna 172? I'd like it nice and smooth too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post

I'm thinking of skipping the indoors myself and if it rains I can always tote my Hi-Point carbine.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Does he have enough room to land a Cessna 172? I'd like it nice and smooth too.
    I think it depends upon how fast you can bring it to a stop.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 43 of 95 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast