Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Any former high school rifle team members?

I was wondering if there are any forum members who were part of their high school’s rifle team. How did you do? What rifles did you use? Any interesting stories?

Default Re: Any former high school rifle team members?

My daughter was part of her ROTC's marksman team. I'll talk to her later and see if she has any interesting stories.

If I remember correctly they used BB guns.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Chester County)

I shot for my high school. We used Winchester 52's on a 50 foot indoor range. I did well enough to letter my junior and senior years. I was on the JV team for my sophomore year.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

North Pocono

MVP 86,87,88

I loved it, single shot .22, 50 ft prone.

Salisbury Rifle Team. I used a Remington but most kids on our team shot Anschutz's. Like everyone else said 50 ft, prone. I was fairly good, managed to shoot a 100 10X in a match and usually averaged over 99 for the season. I'll share a few stories after dinner.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Warren County)

Yes, seems like forever ago

Anschutz 1407's.

One of my best friends in high school was Very good, I believe he placed 2nd or 3rd Nationally. He actually got a full scholarship to PSU, ironically they dropped the program at the end of our freshman year, but they honored his scholarship.

SOB would score 298 but would have several matches with a perfect 300. This is NRA 3 position. We had a range in the basement of the high school, bet not many high schools with a rifle range in them any more.

(Lackawanna County)

Since there were no 'official' teams in our region, we simply had the shooting 'club', although we did sometimes shoot in out-of-region competitions. We had Winchester 52's, as well; they moved from school to school during various consolidations, and I'm pretty sure the diocese sent them to Camp St. Andrew when we were done with them (tenth grade was the last).

Our teacher/coach was a Jesuit ex-USMC gunnery instructor; he could probably have taught Stevie Wonder to shoot straight.

Unfortunately, he was killed (while riding his motorcycle) by a drunk driver and nobody wanted to carry on afterward.

Oh, BTW, prone and creedmore...not that I can even GET into a creedmore position now!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Salisbury Rifle Team. I used a Remington but most kids on our team shot Anschutz's. Like everyone else said 50 ft, prone. I was fairly good, managed to shoot a 100 10X in a match and usually averaged over 99 for the season. I'll share a few stories after dinner.
    My son will probably stay in Salisbury school district because of the rifle team. We were considering sending him to Central Catholic but they don't have a rifle team. He is looking forward to joining the team. (he is only in 6th grade now)

I have been meaning to get with the coach of the high school team to see what I will need to get for Jeffrey to get him started.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I was on the Penn Hills rifle team all four years of high school. I graduated in 1993. 1993 was also the last year that they had the team. The school had old Winchester 52d's and there were a few Anschutz rifles as well. I used my own personal Anschutz during the season that I still own to this day.

The 50 ft range was in the sub basement that ran parallel to the steam tunnel and it was hot as hell down there and tight as can be. If I remember right it had five shooting lanes and was at most 12-15ft wide. When you had practice you had five shooters and 4-5 spotters all scrunched up in a tiny little area. It was like a dream come true when we had matches at Mt.Lebanon, Plum, and Indiana; you could actually move around and have some breathing space. The Indiana range was one of the weirdest places that I ever shot. I think it was a converted barn or something, because it was cold in there in the winter time. There were support posts scattered though the range that you had to shoot between. And, there was a red line down near the targets. If you shot above the red line, which was only a few feet above the floor, the bullet would exit the building because there was no backstop.

I have some pictures from the good old days, and if I can find them I'll try to post them.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    My son will probably stay in Salisbury school district because of the rifle team. We were considering sending him to Central Catholic but they don't have a rifle team. He is looking forward to joining the team. (he is only in 6th grade now)

I have been meaning to get with the coach of the high school team to see what I will need to get for Jeffrey to get him started.
    I loved my coaches on the team and I am still somewhat in contact with them. The coaches have been from the Dorney family for as long as I can remember and I believe Samantha Dorney is currently the coach. Unless you want to spend a lot of $$$ you don't need to get him anything. They have everything you need. Rifles, ammunition, jackets, gloves, and hearing protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfighter04 View Post
    We had a range in the basement of the high school, bet not many high schools with a rifle range in them any more.
    Salisbury's range is still in the basement
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast