Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Question Feedback on Gun Clubs (Blue Ridge Cherry Valley and Indian Mountain)

Looking for any feedback relating to either of the gun clubs: Blue Ridge Cherry Valley or Indian Mountain. Moved to the area last year from the Lehigh Valley and finally at a point where I have the time to get back to shooting on the regular. I want to join a club of which the two mentioned are the closest to me but looking for feedback to hopefully decide which one.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Default Re: Feedback on Gun Clubs (Blue Ridge Cherry Valley and Indian Mountain)

My 80 year old neighbor belongs to all in the local area he does the majority of his daily skeet and trap shooting there at Cherry Valley. It seems like a nice facility but like all ranges in this area it comes with all the rules regarding semi autos and the 3 sec rule between each shot and I believe that for both pistol and rifle. If your into tactical shooting of drawing and shooting that's also a no go. They do have an outdoor winter enclosure that is heated with a wood stove so you can shoot out of it on cold days so winter shooting is more enjoyable.

I have heard from other neighbors that Indian mountain is extremely selective with membership and it can take years to get in if ever.

There's also Palmerton rod and gun club off route 209 in carbon county across from the Country Junction. They have a new member enrollment every 3rd Monday of the month the last I checked and I hear it's easy to get in. I have a pretty good friend that shoots there but again they have the same strict rules as the others regarding rapid firing.

None of them allow legal full autos and possibly .50 cals but I would have to double check that. Welcome to the area, I have been here almost 6 years without joining a range due to being disappointed by the number of rules as well as the zero guests including family member policy at a few of them. I think Cherry Valley is better with that though. They do require you to be an active NRA member and either take a basic firearm safety course offered by them or prove you have had one in the past. I'm not much of a sit still bench shooter so I never went to join any but I might find myself with a lot of free time soon so I've been thinking about the idea of joining one.

Welcome to the area if you have any questions about local information let me know and I will try and help if I can.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 7th, 2019 at 02:46 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Feedback on Gun Clubs (Blue Ridge Cherry Valley and Indian Mountain)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, as like most clubs, these days, you can't get away from the rules and limitations. With the goal being to stay close to home so I can go more frequently, I think Palmerton Rod & Gun club is out. But certaintly appreciate the recommendation. Who knows maybe I will have to settle. Appreciate the welcome as well.

Yes, it's disappointing that there are lot of people in your shoes these days that are turned off by the current state of gun clubs. That how most things go though, all is good until a few rotten apples spoil the barrel. I'm an NRA member so that is not an issue and would gladly take a safety course and potentially other courses.

Good luck with that free time coming your way and thanks again.

I was planning on joining this club until i read all of the nonsense rules. They have IDPA shoots there, you think they would encourage shooting sports. I think it's a waste of time. I'll just shoot at the state range. I was even considering Factoryville sportsmans club. It's over an hour away but i think they have more realistic rules.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I was planning on joining this club until i read all of the nonsense rules. They have IDPA shoots there, you think they would encourage shooting sports. I think it's a waste of time. I'll just shoot at the state range. I was even considering Factoryville sportsmans club. It's over an hour away but i think they have more realistic rules.

I am far from a tactical Tom but I find it annoying that everyone preaches gun safety and to get training but when it comes time to practice what you have spent time and money learning it's highly discouraged and you have to count to 3 or 5 between shots fired. Hell you cannot even practice for 3 gun or steel shoot matches in some of the same places that run them during the season. It's absolutely ridiculous!

Yeah yeah I know Insurance but in my opinion if there is a dangerous idiot he gets removed from the club and life goes on. I am being completely serious when I say the large club I belonged to in NJ while having a fair amount of rules had way more options and allowed so much more then up here in PA. I did a couple of steel challenge matches at Onteluanee gun club in New Tripoli and per their site they seem to have very reasonable rules. Due to a country mile here it takes a bit over and hour for me to get there but I may just end up there anyway. While being a member there would mean I will end up shooting less, it however will mean that when I do shoot it will be a more valuable experience.

http://ontelaunee.org/

(Monroe County)

It's who you know to get in Indian Mountain. Sadly I did. It's like a PGC range w/o the round limit. How nobody gotten hurt there is beyond me.
    Go to one of the public block shoots if you want to be muzzle swept repeatedly and that's by members.
    Then they are always renting out the club house over the year and even if they don't have an outside event, the range is closed. Of course there is an events section for posting these things on the web site but they never do so you show up there and can't shoot and they will book things sat and sunday. The range sucks longest is barely 90yds over a stream and the bridge is in the middle that you have to try not to shoot. I may renew just because it's close for me to test fire things.

I'm thinking going to Palmerton as well.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Monroe County)

Palmerton Rod & Gun is sounding better and better by the posts. I'm really glad I posted here before wasting the effort with some of these places. I knew my old gun club was good but really didn't know how good I had it.

(Carbon County)

I realize this thread has been inactive for about 3 weeks but I want to make a few comments anyway.

First on Blue Ridge Cherry Valley.. I'm not a member there but I have shot there many times in various matches. It is a small range that shares for example Trap with Pistol. One thing at a time obviously. There are also a number of homes very close to the range. If shooters are not careful a bullet goes where it is not appreciated then the club gets shut down. I doubt you will find anyone seriously contemplating this club that hasn't already know about it that the club would miss not having as a member. I know numerous club members and they are a competition oriented and more important safety oriented high quality group of individuals.

Palmerton.. Typical PA club not outstanding in many respects. Close to where I live and have been a member off and on for years. In a word...meh.

Bowmanstown. Similar to Palmerton you cannot use your own target holders, only paper targets attached to their backers. They have an indoor social club the main feature of the place, a decent outdoor rifle and BP range.

Beaver Run .. (Mahoning Twp) Small well kept with social club. rules like Bowmanstown. Inexpensive to join.

Ontelaunee .. (New Tripoli) Arguably the finest club in NE PA, perhaps all of PA. As long as you don't shoot over the berms or destroy property and you keep the muzzle down range you can do most anything you want. The club is patrolled by volunteer range officers and they do not tolerate any fooling around.

Factoryville.. Nice place have shot a few matches there nothing negative to say.

Wilkes-Barre (Hunlock Creek) Big and competition oriented a Jr. version of Ontelaunee.

With Blue Ridge, Ontelaunee, Factoryville and Wilkes Barre these clubs have active membership so flaunting the safety rules or being obnoxious for sport might work once or twice but as a steady diet will not be tolerated. It is funny to me because some don't like the safety rules aspect but you will not catch me dead at any of the game lands ranges especially the one on Rt 93 because of the lack of discipline.

Have a great day gentlemen.
    Last edited by thomas15; January 31st, 2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Certified NRA/IDPA/USPSA-NROI Range Officer
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor

(Monroe County)

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience/opinions. Much appreciated.