Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting advice

(Bucks County)

Default Shooting advice

Ok, I went to the range today. Shot off 100 rounds of 9mm. 5 rounds per mag. 20 rounds per target. Weaver stance.

I started off at 10 yards. This is what I got:

10yards_first.jpg10yards_second.jpg10yards_third.jpg

Pretty much anything bottom of the 8 ring or lower is a flinch/anticipation/eyes closed.

So I moved to 5 yards distance.

5yards.jpg

No flinches, and better than just being closer to he muzzle tightening up the spread.

Then I moved to 7 yards. 2 flinches, but overall, still better than 10.

7yards.jpg

I'm focusing on the front sight and putting it at the bullseye for all shots.

Any suggestions for improving my 10 yards accuracy? Is it just a timing thing where I'm getting more comfortable with not flinching/anticipating the shot?

Thanks for any help. I'm trying to make sure I'll be able to pass my constable basic firearms class.

Any

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Shooting advice

Go to this website http://www.bullseyepistol.com/getinto.htm then go to the menu on the right side of the page and choose the box that say USAMU Pistol Guide. Open and read the guide. Then apply the basics you find there to your practice sessions. Don't concern yourself that it is written for the Conventional Pistol competitor, the basics it teaches apply to all pistol marksmanship endeavors. Even your Weaver stance (I prefer Isosceles) and two hand grip are adaptable to the basics. Most of the errors I see in your targets are the results jerking the trigger.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

I see progressively better shooting viewing 123, and the control at 5 yards basically repeated at 7.

7 yards is 21 feet and 10 yards is 30 feet. That additional 9 feet, reducing the size of the target together with possible change in lighting conditions may have caused something I need to guard against...trying to snap that gun off in reaction to a "looks good" instant, usually resulting in the spreads shown 1 and 2.

Something to try: One day a friend was getting frustrated at his marksmanship on a 25 yard outdoor range. I suggested he fire unsupported left (his weak) hand.
    He was amazed at how well he did and asked why. I explained i had suggested it because he seldom if ever fires weak hand, and it forced him to do everything correctly.

Next time you're having a bad day, try it. If it shrinks the group, it's definite proof of a trigger control or (less likely) a grip problem.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I see progressively better shooting viewing 123, and the control at 5 yards basically repeated at 7.

7 yards is 21 feet and 10 yards is 30 feet. That additional 9 feet, reducing the size of the target together with possible change in lighting conditions may have caused something I need to guard against...trying to snap that gun off in reaction to a "looks good" instant, usually resulting in the spreads shown 1 and 2.
    This seems like it might be a good diagnosis. I'll work on it the next time I'm at the range. Thank you!

Something to try: One day a friend was getting frustrated at his marksmanship on a 25 yard outdoor range. I suggested he fire unsupported left (his weak) hand.
    He was amazed at how well he did and asked why. I explained i had suggested it because he seldom if ever fires weak hand, and it forced him to do everything correctly.

Next time you're having a bad day, try it. If it shrinks the group, it's definite proof of a trigger control or (less likely) a grip problem.
    Also thanks to the previous two posters. I've read (still in process of reading the longest) their linked suggestions.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Ok, I went to the range today. Shot off 100 rounds of 9mm. 5 rounds per mag. 20 rounds per target. Weaver stance.

I started off at 10 yards. This is what I got:

10yards_first.jpg10yards_second.jpg10yards_third.jpg

Pretty much anything bottom of the 8 ring or lower is a flinch/anticipation/eyes closed.

So I moved to 5 yards distance.

5yards.jpg

No flinches, and better than just being closer to he muzzle tightening up the spread.

Then I moved to 7 yards. 2 flinches, but overall, still better than 10.

7yards.jpg

I'm focusing on the front sight and putting it at the bullseye for all shots.

Any suggestions for improving my 10 yards accuracy? Is it just a timing thing where I'm getting more comfortable with not flinching/anticipating the shot?

Thanks for any help. I'm trying to make sure I'll be able to pass my constable basic firearms class.

Any
    Not knowing what kind of training or instruction you've had, are you focussing on the front sight, pressing through the trigger to a surprise break ( every shot should be a surprise), then allowing the trigger to only advance to the reset point before reacquiring your front sight before pressing off the next round?

Slapping the trigger ( allowing it to fully go forward completely) will sometimes result in low and left shots (right hand dominant) as will overgripping the gun ( usually seen as shooting to the left).

Gripping the gun incorrectly can also be a problem if not done correctly.
    The grip should not be along the lifeline but the grip should be on the heel of the hand.

Dryfire your pistol more but do it correctly.

Ensure the gun is clear.

Acquire your front sight, see your sight picture, press through to a surprise break. Hold the trigger to the rear. Work the slide back an inch or so with your support hand to reset the trigger system.

Get your 2 handed grip back. Reacquire the front sight. Allow the trigger to travel forward ONLY to the reset and press through again to yet another surprise break.

With one shot, you should have 2 sight pictures, 2 shots should have 3 sight pictures etc etc. Called follow through.

I apologize if this is already how you practice.

You will need to shoot at 15 and 25 yards so perhaps some distance shooting would be good practice .
    A bit of strong hand and weak one handed shooting is a good idea to go over as well as transition shooting to weak hand.

Good luck
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Not knowing what kind of training or instruction you've had, are you focussing on the front sight, pressing through the trigger to a surprise break ( every shot should be a surprise), then allowing the trigger to only advance to the reset point before reacquiring your front sight before pressing off the next round?
    Mostly. I'm not working on just going to reset point, but I am probably doing it more than not. I've been working on making sure it is a surprise break, and so have been occasionally stopping and relaxing, and starting again when I start to anticipate the break. I'm not working on speed just yet.

Slapping the trigger ( allowing it to fully go forward completely) will sometimes result in low and left shots (right hand dominant) as will overgripping the gun ( usually seen as shooting to the left).

Gripping the gun incorrectly can also be a problem if not done correctly.
    The grip should not be along the lifeline but the grip should be on the heel of the hand.

Dryfire your pistol more but do it correctly.

Ensure the gun is clear.

Acquire your front sight, see your sight picture, press through to a surprise break. Hold the trigger to the rear. Work the slide back an inch or so with your support hand to reset the trigger system.

Get your 2 handed grip back. Reacquire the front sight. Allow the trigger to travel forward ONLY to the reset and press through again to yet another surprise break.

With one shot, you should have 2 sight pictures, 2 shots should have 3 sight pictures etc etc. Called follow through.

I apologize if this is already how you practice.
    No need to apologize. I've asked for help. It would be rude of me not to listen.

You will need to shoot at 15 and 25 yards so perhaps some distance shooting would be good practice .
    A bit of strong hand and weak one handed shooting is a good idea to go over as well as transition shooting to weak hand.

Good luck
    Will do. And thank you!

(Bucks County)

Don't shoot at large targets at close range for accuracy..............Silhouettes have their place but they are not good for telling how accurately you can shoot.

Get a big blank piece of paper and out a one inch black dot on it (2 inches for longer ranges). Focus ONLY on the little dot, give it the lollipop hold, and shoot for groups. If you start getting shaky in the middle of a group feel free to stop and rest your arms.

(Bucks County)

Aim small, miss small.

Chris Kyle in American Sniper

(Chester County)

Best advice I ever heard was to let your eye pull the trigger. Don't think about your finger. It will go when your eyes tell it to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast