Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting advice

(Washington County)

Default Re: Shooting advice

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    WCMG is a constable and range owner, so I added his suggestion to my planning. I haven't been back to the range yet. I can print up targets with a one inch circle on it quite easily and plan on doing so, the TQ-19s, not so much. I've also been offered an afteroon's training session by PM. I'm going to be taking them up on it. I haven't ignored a single suggestion yet. I plan on printing out all the suggestions and seeing how well they work for me. I just don't have that much free time at work to comment on things. And I expect to purchase and go through about 600 to 1000 rounds before the class starts.
    I found practicing these 3 shooting drills has hoped when I'm not in the mood to run the course every week which can be boring:

1: At 9 feet, draw and fire 3 rounds into a 1/2" circle.

2: At 21 feet, draw, transfer the firearm to weak hand, fire 3 shots into 6" circle

3: At 100 feet, draw and fire 3 rounds into a 12" circle.

I found by adding these practice drills that my only goal each year is not qualifying, but chasing that perfect score of 120. Hasn't happened yet, but have high hopes for 2019.

If you want some cheap targets, purchase a 140 pack of 10" paper plates from Walmart. for $10.

If you can hit that 10" pie plate at every distance, you will score 100+ on qualification.

You are welcomed to come down to our range for a free day of shooting and instruction, but it's a long drive for you.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Every shot should be a surprise is nonsense. If you shoot a lot you know exactly when your trigger is going to break. My pistol never surprises me. Shooting up close my focus is just seeing the sights. With a good grip and stance you can smash the trigger and still hit no problem.
    As I move out my mental focus shifts to sights and trigger control. Your eyes should be breaking the shot. You should be waiting for perfect sight picture as you are pulling the trigger straight back, perfect, bang. For difficult shots I ride the trigger forward to reset. Also try shooting at 25 yards. Aiming at the head at 25 yrds will probably tighten up your group at 10. Dry firing is free and you can do it at home. It helps a lot if you are honest with yourself as you practice. One other thing is your support hand should be your main grip of the gun. Crush it with the support hand, it helps prevent movement when pulling the trigger and muzzle rise and recovery.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

At least you know you can burst someone's appendix at 10 yards.

At a close range, your flaws do how show up as much,

It's likely a grip issue. I had the same problem before when I started shooting, shots low and off-center. My fix was the positioning of my finger on the trigger, moving the trigger to the pad of my finger where I had been holding closer to the first joint/bend before...pulling the gun off target when I pulled the trigger.

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Berks County)

Trigger time. If you have a .22 and can spend more time actually shooting and learning to hit smaller targets consistently the qualification you are going for is easy. Do not psych yourself out either. 25 yards is the same as 5 yards and has a lot more time built into it then you think. Take your time at distance and just concentrate on the basics of lining up the target, trigger control, and recovery. You will do fine.

PM me if you would like discuss and possibly get together.

(Bucks County)

I wanted to thank everybody. I'm halfway through the first weekend of the class and so far I've got the tightest and most accurate groups.

(Washington County)

I wanted to thank everybody. I'm halfway through the first weekend of the class and so far I've got the tightest and most accurate groups.
    Good luck Sunday on your qualification! Just did my ConEd classroom training today, particularly boring this year.

Remember, aim small, miss small.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Qualification is this morning at 8am. Got to head out now, it is a 90 minute drive for me.

Thanks for the good wishes!

(Montgomery County)

Qualification is this morning at 8am. Got to head out now, it is a 90 minute drive for me.

Best of luck on your qual.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

If you see Paul tell him I said, "Hi".
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Each phase is 30 shots worth a maximum of 60 points. 75% in each phase needed to pass. I got 58, and 55, for a total of 113, or 94%

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast