Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting advice

(Washington County)

Default Re: Shooting advice

"Aim small, miss small" is probably the best advice you are going to get and explains why you are opening up as you get further from the target.

I typically score 117 to 119 out of 120 on my yearly Constable firearm test and it's because I practice shooting from 9' to 100' almost every week.

My advice, purchase some NRA TQ-19 targets and practice with the ammo that you will be qualifying with, which is the only ammo that you are allowed to carry while on duty and what you must qualify with.

On Page 16 of this document:

https://www.pccd.pa.gov/training/Doc...20Schedule.pdf

Is the exact course you will be shooting, practice this course, in particular, weak-hand shooting at 7-yards. Don't get confused by the lingo, normally mags are loaded with 6-rounds and you fire 3-rounds each time, pause, then shoot 3 more. The instructors are there to help and i often tell them to repeat each distance instructions about 3 times and they are happy to do it. They are there to help you pass, but at the end of the day, you gotta do the shooting.

Shooters often fall apart at 75-feet, so when I train people on passing this course, I have them shoot at 100' at smaller targets, so on day of the qualification, they are shooting at 75-feet at bigger targets, but I can not stress enough, "Aim small, miss small", at 75-feet I'm guessing you are not aiming at the very center of the target, you are aiming at the target. You have decent patterns at 5-yards (should be tighter), but overall that shooting will get you the necessary points to pass the quilification course.

If you weren't 5 hours away I would invite you down for some free training, but find a local range that allows you to shoot 100' feet, buy those targets, and start shooting 6-shots at each distance on that course, (don't forget weak hand shooting), and you will pass.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Bucks County)

Anybody know where I can get TQ-19 targets that will get them to me by Friday without having to spend $60 on the shipping alone? Plenty of places to buy them, but most of them start their arrival windows at 1/18/2019, which is when the class starts.

(Montgomery County)

Just another thing to consider. Your front site isn't getting visually smaller as your target does. This is why 6 o'clock holds at static distances are so popular.

You may not being seeing the "equal light" on the sides as well because it might be backed by red instead of white at the further distance.

As for the drops to lower left, any flinch will get exaggerated as the range increases. And you might want to see what "is around" your front post at the further distance.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Anybody know where I can get TQ-19 targets that will get them to me by Friday without having to spend $60 on the shipping alone? Plenty of places to buy them, but most of them start their arrival windows at 1/18/2019, which is when the class starts.
    How many are you looking for?

I have a variation of the TQ19

2019-01-07_02-13-21 by poofy27, on Flickr
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    How many are you looking for?

I have a variation of the TQ19
    As long as it has the boxes that they'll be scoring me on, which those do. I was looking for about 25 to 50.

(Allegheny County)

As long as it has the boxes that they'll be scoring me on, which those do. I was looking for about 25 to 50.
    Not sure I have 25 left.

I'll let you know what I have.

I got these from Action Targets. https://chiefsupply.com/products/law...kaAt3UEALw_wcB

SEARCH RESULTS

Pages (6)
    Showing 6 results for "delivery time"
    Shipping & Tax
    Standard Shipping Charges Charges for addresses in the contiguous United States only. Order Total Standard 2-Day Air** Next Day Delivery Up to $25 $8.49 $6.95 $28.48 $33.48 $25.01 to $50.00 $10.49 $6.95 $30.48 $35.48 $50.01 to $98.99 $12.49 ..

Check with them on delivery time. I'll count what I have and get back.
    Last edited by 27hand; January 7th, 2019 at 03:32 PM.

(Bucks County)

Unfortunately, I get this when I try and order from them. All colors:

backorder.jpg

(Allegheny County)

I have 18 of those left.

If you can't get something delivered, I can send you what I have. I can't get to a PO till late tomorrow afternoon due to wifes surgery in the AM.

Pm me your Addy if you need these.

(Bucks County)

You asked for advice and got it from multiple people. But you are not listening...............learn to hit a one inch target. Then your TQ-19 is easy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You asked for advice and got it from multiple people. But you are not listening...............learn to hit a one inch target. Then your TQ-19 is easy.
    Really, where are you getting the idea I'm not listening?

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    My advice, purchase some NRA TQ-19 targets and practice with the ammo that you will be qualifying with, which is the only ammo that you are allowed to carry while on duty and what you must qualify with.
    WCMG is a constable and range owner, so I added his suggestion to my planning. I haven't been back to the range yet. I can print up targets with a one inch circle on it quite easily and plan on doing so, the TQ-19s, not so much. I've also been offered an afteroon's training session by PM. I'm going to be taking them up on it. I haven't ignored a single suggestion yet. I plan on printing out all the suggestions and seeing how well they work for me. I just don't have that much free time at work to comment on things. And I expect to purchase and go through about 600 to 1000 rounds before the class starts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast