Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down Schuylkill Gun Works

This is a review of Schuylkill Gun Works located in Orwigsburg. I had several NFA items transferred through their shop.

I have let some time pass before writing this review, mostly to cool down about this whole episode. I have done NFA transactions with half a dozen FFLs- this was by far the worst experience overall. It was bad enough that I seriously considered having my items shipped to a new FFL, despite the additional delay and cost.

I went there to transfer one suppressor from an online purchase. Because they were local to me, I thought I’d try to give them business, so I wanted to purchase three more suppressors directly through them. One of the employees checked but could not find a competitive price. They told me they would call me back. I called them back instead when I didn’t hear from them, and again they could not find a competitive price. I purchased two more suppressors online and transferred them through the store as well. The cost was $50 per transfer, payable up front. When I told them I would be using a trust, the owner Joe advised me it would take longer and tried to steer me towards filing as an individual. I told him the trust was fine but he didn’t seem satisfied with that answer. I didn’t have a problem with him trying to save everyone time, but after I made it clear I would use a trust, I didn’t expect pushback. We also went back and forth on completing the Form 4’s. I had already done several forms before, so I was familiar with the process. We went back and forth on completing the forms regarding CLEO notification. Joe was not knowledgeable on who could be notified. I was also delayed in completing the forms because only Joe worked on NFA transfers and he wasn’t always available to sign. Eventually the paperwork was completed and sent.

After the appropriate waiting period passed with no word, I emailed the shop asking if they had received the Form 4’s. After receiving no response after a few days, I called the shop, and sure enough, the Form 4’s had been returned. The shop had them over 10 days without a phone call or email! (I guess I should feel lucky- there’s a thread about this shop on here from June 2014 where a guy waited for a month!) When I went to pick up the suppressors, the same delays occurred again. The owner wasn’t there, as he was picking up his kid from school. Apparently no one else knows how to do PICS for NFA, and it was more than an hour before he returned and transaction completed. During that whole time, he never said word one to me, and of course, did not offer any apologies.

They are many decent FFLs who handle NFA transactions without issue- I will patronize them instead.

Default Re: Schuylkill Gun Works

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I used to go to his shop at the old location before the fire. It takes a lifetime to earn a good reputation and to keep it, but it takes one bad customer experience to ruin a business.

Hopefully, it will all work out for you. I understand not using them ever again after this experience.

Thanks, aubie. I deal with JMB Guns in Muhlenburg Twp., Berks County for internet transfers these days. Great service and low prices. Very knowledgeable on NFA.

I don't know that shop...I'm in Pottstown, so I'll have to check them out as Reading isn't too far away from me. How much for an FFL transfer?

(Bucks County)

I think Shakey's does NFA stuff.

They were super nice and helpful the three or four times I was in there.

JMB does transfers for $15. NFA is $50 but that includes everything.

I’ve used Shakey’s and am quite satisfied, but they no longer do NFA.