Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Moving back to PA and PAFOA

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I have logged into this forum. We moved from the Pittsburgh area to Maryland for a job opportunity in 2008. It was my dream job, and it was/is a great job. I'm an Electronic RF/Digital/Software/DB Design Engineer building Military/Homeland defense type RADAR/Communications/Fire Control/etc for Land/Sea/Air/Space... Awesome bleeding edge technologies for our war fighters. Before that, I was an IT network engineer for a company in Southpoint @ Canonsburg,PA

Anyway, my wife died earlier this year, and I just turned 60. My attitude really went to crap and I'm done with the rat race. I am quitting this job( some call it retiring) and moving out of this state. All my kids have moved out, and two are upstate NY. All my,and my wife's family are in Western NY, but I refuse to move into NY. I would have to lose all my evil black rifles. Our plan was for me to retire in a couple of more years, and we would buy a place up on the Western PA/NY border. We would then cruise the country on the Harley.

We'll I am accelerating that plan. I just bought me 2.25 acres, small house, huge garage, in NW PA, Erie county (no mortgage). Also picked up a 5th wheel toy hauler.
    Putting this place in MD on the market in April, and told my boss when it sells, I am done. Although my boss is taunting me with a plan where I can work part time from anywhere. They need the help badly,and are sweating finding replacement(s) for my position. That would allow me benefits, which I kind of need until 65.

Sorry for rambling...

It will be good to get my PA CCW back in my wallet, and get out of this commie state.

I'll be lurking this forum a lot more now

Cheers!

towhome_small.jpg

Default Re: Moving back to PA and PAFOA

Sorry for your loss, welcome back!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

Wow, such a heavy loss, wife dying so young, sorry to read that; and a heavy gain...getting back into Pennsylvania. Hope all works out as planned.

Great camo job on the trailer!

(Lehigh County)

Welcome back. Sorry you lost our life partner for the rest of the trip. As to retirement: it is hell, but someone has to do it! You lose track of days of the week and time slows down and speeds up unexpectedly. As for the part time thing; if the boss will pay for a satellite hook up for the toy hauler, put in a computer corner and keep those bennies while enjoying life.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

Sorry for your loss there, I'd be devastated. Good luck with your new endeavor. It's probably many new faces (or usernames as the case may be) since your last visit.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Holy crap, that's a name I haven't seen in forever.
    It's unusual for me to remember anyone if they change their avatar, but I do recall the name for once.

Also passing along condolences. Glad to hear what sounds like a "regrouping" of your life. Loss of a loved one can really mess a person up.

Welcome back.

(Montgomery County)

Keep your head up, and don't lose hold of the beauty in life or the loves you shared together.

Keep those benefits... answering a few phone calls a couple days a week could give you a nice pocket full of play money on the regular too.

(Allegheny County)

Sorry very for your loss, & welcome back!

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Good move on your part to come back to Pa. Opportunities abound leisure and finacially it would appear . I would also add that losing your good wife,she would want you to go forward ! You are in our prayers as is your wife . MDT

(Erie County)

Thanks everyone!

The engineer in me thought I had it figure out as she was sick for a while. But I didn't have a clue to the real devastation of losing my soul mate. I'm one of those lucky ones that had an awesome marriage, and we really did enjoy each other in every way. I can also look back and see where we took each other for granted, assuming tomorrow would always be there. It is that retrospect that tells me I do not need to keep working, and I need to enjoy life, enjoy the 3 daughters, 4 grand daughters, and 2 great grand babies.

Wife bordered on that hot-crazy line, and was a good shooter. I always assumed she could kick my azz, but never had to find out She definitely left huge memories and large legacy in all her girls. Christmas was weird. I spent most of my time making sure the girls, and my MIL were doing OK. It hit me on New Years Day. But it's all good. It is life, and she is still guiding us all.

Attachment 113840
    Attachment 113841 - PFC
    Last edited by tourrider; January 5th, 2019 at 06:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast