Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: I think I may be getting scammed drrrrrrrrrr

I would also get in touch with the PD where he says he lives and what his DL says. Or, if you know someone who lives close, have them swing by the address and give you a report.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

No link to the armslist posting?
    Hold the Line...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    No link to the armslist posting?
    Just pick any random listing.

(Susquehanna County)

I have used Armslist multiple times for multiple purchases/sales.. ALL face to face !!!
    Never ever use a money order - it is not much better than sending cash, except it can be cancelled "BEFORE" it is cashed, incase it gets lost..
    Pay pal maybe... FTF or it's not worth it.. if the deal is too good to be true.. it probably is

You are out $900 that is why thieves use money orders.. once it is in their hands you can do nothing to stop or recall it.

Definitely report it to the police for the jurisdiction where you sent the Money Order, and/or FBI internet crimes maybe then can catch the middle man and close that cash flow down

I know someone who was on the middle man for some of these assholes. Learned how it works from them after the FBI let them walk.

Here is they scam.. they are selling something you want, usually at a GREAT price.
    They accept only money order and give you a USA address
    You mail the money order and it is picked up by the middle man - usually some poor schmuck on assistance (literally)
    They go cash money order at a local place, like a Walmart
    They use cash to reload a prepaid CC the perp already owns - buy a prepaid credit card and mail it to the perp (but this gives a physical location and is too risky)
    Middleman gets to keep a percentage for all the hard work. She was getting $100 per transaction in her pocket
    Once the FBI pounces, (they did on the schmuck I know), the perp just starts using the next schmuck they have reeled in.

How did they real in the schmuck? it was my 500lb, ugly as shit, ex sister in-law. Perp found her on some online dating site and schmoozed her pretending to be an American overseas for work.
    Eventually asked if she could help with his "legal business" until he was supposed to return to the USA and they could live happily ever after..
    all she had to do was just cash USPS Money Orders, put the money against my CC and take a cut for herself. She was making some nice money.
    What happened to her? FBI took all the info she could provide in lieu of prosecution, then turned her over to Welfare and SS where it took her a few months to straighten out how much money she had made since it was all cash.
    How did they catch her?
    Several complaints from victims with USPS money orders.
    FBI traced money orders through USPS, and found many cashed at Mill Hall Walmart.
    FBI used cashed date-time-stamp and reviewed security camera footage.
    FBI then broadcast pictures of repeat person at customer service, around those times/dates, on local TV stations.
    local folks turned her ugly ass in

She sincerely claims that she thought he was a White American working overseas and due to come back soon.. FBI traced communications info to Nigeria and turned their info and prepaid CC over to Interpol.. good luck on that one

These assholes are on every online classified site you can think of.

Report it.... I am sure others have

Tips:
    Poor English grammar sucks or is odd ie "boxing day"
    if they are selling: Require Money Order
    if they are buying: they will send you a certified check from more than your asking price, then you send the remainder to someone as a Money Order
    Last edited by Parrisk; January 8th, 2019 at 05:18 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Just pick any random listing.
    Pretty much..

Select 50 ads, 45 are probably scams.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Pretty much..

Select 50 ads, 45 are probably scams.
    I looked at Armlist years ago but never did anything there, I didn't realize they're that bad. Sheesh, that's as bad as the CL personal ads were.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wyoming County)

It's a bummer. I like the guy- Rob, that does their YouTube channel
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Adams County)

Just an update, I did get in touch with the local PD and he took some information and called the number. About 20min later I got a text from the guy asking me to forgive him for the delay and that his son had shot someone with the ps90 and he had to get an attorney to help. (Yeah right) then I said ok so since it was no longer available am I getting my money back. He replied that it was still available just to please give him a few more days. (Lol) needless to say I contacted the PD again and told him and said sarcastically "now correct me if I'm wrong, but if his son shot someone with it, it wouldn't be available in a couple of days". He laughed and said "Uh NO! Lol" We talked about it and he suggested that I let him know that I wasnt interested in a gun that had shot someone, and that I had already contacted the PD and would have them continue with the investigation if he didn't return the money, or send the gun asap. Also that I wouldn't accept calls only texts or emails, so I would have a record of conversations. I havent heard back lol. I also filed a mail money/order fraud case with the postal investigator. So we'll see. I know they wont catch the "whole ring", but we'll see. Also I didn't provide a link to the listing because I flagged it twice as a scam and they took it down. Thanks everyone for the replies, good and bad, sorrowful and ignorant! Lol

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by timeisrelative View Post
    Also that I wouldn't accept calls
    One of my favorite apps. works well with the ex and kids
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erpro&hl=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I would also get in touch with the PD where he says he lives and what his DL says. Or, if you know someone who lives close, have them swing by the address and give you a report.
    He can try, but with my experience its a lost cause. State police, ATF, FBI, none of them gave two shits
    when some douchebag scammed me on a suppressor. Maybe times have changed as this happened over ten
    years ago,.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast