Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Honesdale-Hawley

Anyone live in the Honesdale/Hawley area? What's life like in the area?

My wife and I are thinking about retiring to the area, when the time comes. She grew up in Tanglwood Lakes/Paupack Hills area. Houses there are a bit expensive and we'd rather not live in a homeowners development. Prices in Honesdale seem reasonable.

Her parents are buried in Hawley. Living in the southeastern part of PA means it's a 3 hour ride to visit and maintain the site.

Any opinions on the area are welcome.
    Last edited by soberbyker; January 5th, 2019 at 05:44 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Honesdale-Hawley

Opinion...beautiful place. Good fishing. Get used to chipmunks and deer.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Wayne County)

All of Wayne County is a beautiful place to live. Stay away from rivers.

(Wayne County)

Yep, all if Wayne and Pike counties are beautiful! That's why I live here.

Pike has higher taxes and the residential subdivisions do have a lot of transplants from NYC. But you've got two gun shops in Honesdale, two in Hawley and one in Hamlin. Lake Wallenpaupack. Delaware River. Gamelands out the butt. State forest for days. Highest density of black near on the planet. Great county fairs.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

Pike has higher taxes and the residential subdivisions do have a lot of transplants from NYC. But you've got two gun shops in Honesdale, two in Hawley and one in Hamlin. Lake Wallenpaupack. Delaware River. Gamelands out the butt. State forest for days. Highest density of black near on the planet. Great county fairs.
    Racist
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    Opinion...beautiful place. Good fishing. Get used to chipmunks and deer.
    Yea, wifeys pop died this past November, her mom in 2015, used to go to their place in Tanglwood Lakes a lot (off 507), for a city boy like me it was like walking into a nature show. Hummingbirds, chipmunks, deer, turkey, pileated woodpecker, and yes, a mama black bear and her 3 cubs walked through the yard, among other critters. Very peaceful and enjoyable. I would spend hours on the inlaws porch just watching the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    All of Wayne County is a beautiful place to live. Stay away from rivers.
    Why the rivers? Flood a lot? I love the Lake Wallenpaupack area, my dog loves to swim there.

I guess the reason for this thread is what's it like to live there. I'm not used to the seclusion her parents lived in. Honesdale seemed to be a good compromise between rural where everything is more than a half hour away to the city life I'm used where everything is less than 5 minutes away.

Looking online at homes for sale in the area it seems they are fairly reasonable for a 2 bedroom home, with a garage, in price. My biggest fear is they may be very expensive to run in the winter, most are electric heat with a fireplace/woodstove. Having a fireplace for your main source of heat is costly if you're unable to spend most of the summer looking for and collecting free wood, which is what wifeys parents would do. It was a full time job, and physically demanding. I'm not in good health. I've seen a few with oil or propane but not many. And then there septic systems, no experience there. I'm used to having all public utilities, electric, (natural) gas, water, sewer, trash collection.

My other complaint, no water pressure at her parents home, shower was very light, not sure if that's a thing up there in general.

Anyway thanks to those who've replied, I appreciate it.

Last edited by soberbyker; January 5th, 2019 at 06:14 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

I would agree with everything Sandcut said, but I will emphasize that there are a shit-ton of "front platers" (NYers and NJers) in the area. Pike county is getting overrun and Monroe county to the south is already lost for years now. just fair warning

The area is beautiful though and a fairly large city (Scranton) is only 35 minutes away. Many homes are former "weekend" homes and have electric heat, yes they are expensive to run in our cold winters. My grandparents used to live in Lords Valley, they had septic which was never really a problem, but they had wood cathedral ceilings in their house with zero insulation, which was a pain to heat

Good luck in your search!
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Yea, wifeys pop died this past November, her mom in 2015, used to go to their place in Tanglwood Lakes a lot (off 507), for a city boy like me it was like walking into a nature show. Hummingbirds, chipmunks, deer, turkey, pileated woodpecker, and yes, a mama black bear and her 3 cubs walked through the yard, among other critters. Very peaceful and enjoyable. I would spend hours on the inlaws porch just watching the woods.

Why the rivers? Flood a lot? I love the Lake Wallenpaupack area, my dog loves to swim there.

I guess the reason for this thread is what's it like to live there. I'm not used to the seclusion her parents lived in. Honesdale seemed to be a good compromise between rural where everything is more than a half hour away to the city life I'm used where everything is less than 5 minutes away.

Looking online at homes for sale in the area it seems they are fairly reasonable for a 2 bedroom home, with a garage, in price. My biggest fear is they may be very expensive to run in the winter, most are electric heat with a fireplace/woodstove. Having a fireplace for your main source of heat is costly if you're unable to spend most of the summer looking for and collecting free wood, which is what wifeys parents would do. It was a full time job, and physically demanding. I'm not in good health. I've seen a few with oil or propane but not many. And then there septic systems, no experience there. I'm used to having all public utilities, electric, (natural) gas, water, sewer, trash collection.

My other complaint, no water pressure at her parents home, shower was very light, not sure if that's a thing up there in general.

I live in Pike. I have a small house in a community. Electric everything and community water and sewer. Electric averages $250/month and water and sewer about $120 to give you an idea. I don't use a wood stove or any other supplemental heat. If you want to shoot for close to free the state range on rt 6 isn't bad during the week. Weekends it's full of idiots.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I give Wayne County a thumbs up.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post

Yes, it will take some getting used to initially. My wife grew up in DelCo down toward the airport. Her biggest issues initially was the dark and the quiet. We actually had a dog that we had while living down there that would start to tremble whenever we turned the lights off. It was afraid of the dark also. But she got used to it before she realized it.

Yes, everything is geographically 30 minutes from anything. This, too, becomes preferred after awhile.

As far as housing goes, buy a good stick-built home with a basement. There's many bi-levels around that are built well. Watch out for single story ranch homes or A-frame "chalets" that are built on a slab. These were likely vacation homes and are insulated accordingly. I'm not saying they all are, but there's a lot of them for sale up here.

Heating isn't necessarily all that bad. A small investment can update electric heat to more modern, ceramic core heaters. You can supplement with kerosene heaters, which many folks do. You don't have to heat with a wood stove. There's pellet stoves and coal stoves galore. Many of which are low maintenance and don't involve much work other than finding a spot to store your coal/pellets. There's quite a few stores in the region that just sell stoves.

Septic systems, just make it a condition of sale that the tank gets pumped before closing.

If you get to the point that you think you want to make an offer on something, PM me. I'll be glad to try to meet up with you to help you with what little I do know.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast