Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Added second swivel stud to the T/C Compass stock

Sorry, no pics (didn't take any). The plastic stock that comes with the rifle is better than some others. The fore end is quite stiff and there is no barrel slap.

The stock comes with installed swivel studs, fore end and butt. Both are short-shanked, wood screw threaded, with no retaining nuts possible.

I wanted a second stud up front. The stock gets its stiffness from molded elongated Xs repeated longitudinally. The first (most forward X) includes a molded boss, drilled, to receive the stud. The next X back has no boss. This is where I located the second stud.

I placed the nut down into the the stock, nut firmly contacting inside the V of the X and using it as a guide, drilled through the stock. I then redrilled, next drill size up, opening the hole to accommodate a machine screw threaded stud.

After tightening the stud and nut, I applied J B Weld with depth sufficient to cover the nut and protruding threaded shank, while adhering to the portion of the X the nut contacted. I then positioned the stock at an angle so the J B Weld remained pocketed, remaining where I wanted it and retaining the depth needed. Worked out very well, and that stud now has a boss area with strength.

The factory forward stud, having a short shank, was exchanged for a longer shanked stud, to gain strength in that one.

Double studs are needed if one wants to use both a sling and a bipod. The bipod attaches to the forward stud, the sling to the second.

Having two studs also gives a second option of where to secure the bipod on the bench, no sling used.
    Last edited by Bang; January 20th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.