Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Unhappy Should I Bitch or what ?

I have the Winchester model 62, the kind rifle you used to see in a shooting gallery. I sent it off to a Winchester recommended gunsmith who informed me that the barrel was shot out of it (I hadn't shot it in 50 years). They relined a barrel but it consistently shoots 4 inches to the right, and 10 inches low. I think I can compensate for the 10 inches low by raising the rear sight, but what about it shooting to the right. I don't know if the front sight can be moved over or not. What would your next move be, raise a fuss with them or try to find another gunsmith ? I got the rifle in a trade when I was a teenager, but I'm not the kind of person who would screw somebody else by selling it to them. HELP Joe

Default Re: Should I Bitch or what ?

If it's that far off, I'd get a laser bore sight and see what that shows, then bring it to the original gun Smith and either request a refund or have them fix it

(Chester County)

You haven't mentioned what ammo you're shooting which could affect how the last rounds in the rifle were zeroed in.

If the ammo you've used consistently shoots 4 inches to the right (since you didn't mention the distance or ammo, maybe 25-50 yds?) just check where the front sight is situated on the barrel.

Since you're shooting to the left with your ammo (you didn't mention the caliber - but if it was a gallery rifle, maybe a .22???), just be sure your front sight is centered before you make any adjustments. After you've let some oil sit on the front sight, give it a lite tap (using appropriate tools and sight punches)to the right. Now see how it shoots.

Better? It should be, for if you're adjusting a front sight, you have to move it in the opposite direction where you want the bullet to go. If you move the front sight a tad to the right, the bullet should impact after your sight adjustment to the left.

Which means you're now shooting through the same hole, depending on distance.

When you're making sight adjustments, keep it simple and make these adjustments at 25 yds. Then refine them for 50/75/100 yds. Whatever distance you want this rifle to perform.

Hope this helps....
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

not enough information.

4 inches right and 10 inches low at what distance? If at 50 yards, sights can be adjusted. If at 20 yards, barrel may need straightening.

(Allegheny County)

I never heard of straightening a barrel. In fact, I never heard the barrel being bent. I will have to check that out on YouTube. I love it when I get to learn something new

(Carbon County)

Early M-16 barrels were "Straightened" at the factory. BUT, the barrel has to be bent. If the bore is not drilled straight that is totally something else. I would check all the other options first. When you drill out an old barrel, the drill pretty much follows the hole that is already there. I guess it is possible to drill one off center, but I have never done it. If the liner is off center, I don't know how you would repair that.

(Westmoreland County)

It is possible to bend the barrel ever so slightly to correct this if the liner was installed or hole was bored off center .I would first see if the sights are indeed windage adjustable and then consult with the person who installed the liner first .

(Cumberland County)

I'd bitch, Winchester recommended smith should stand behind his work. Not sure why a barrel reline job would leave the shop that far off. Guess they didn't test fire it after the work was done. The reline job might be crap or there was another issue before they started on it. How did it shoot before work was done?

(Bucks County)

Uh-Oh....