Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: obtaining a PA non resident pistol carry permit

Quote Originally Posted by Chasanna View Post
    That's enlightening. I wasn't aware that upstate folks were able to get unrestricted carry permits so easily. I live in Suffolk County, NY, which apparently has more rigorous controls. My point, however, is that I believe a NYS permit with a sportsman restriction requires as much vetting as an unrestricted carry permit applicant (Hopefully not another blatantly false assumption). If so, there's no logical reason to be denied a non resident PA license.
    It's unlikely you will receive a LTCF with a restricted NYS permit. I'm unaware of a specific prohibition, but the law requires your license to be a "similar document" . Many if not most sheriffs seem to view that as meaning an unrestricted permit allowing the carry of a concealed firearm for the purposes of self defense. Pa makes no distinction as to the purpose of a LTCF, but my guess is our sportsmen's permit is closer to your restricted permit, and that is used as a reason to not issue.....right or wrong. Strictly conjecture on my part. Your best bet is to contact as many individual departments and inquire IF they issue to non residents, and whether a restricted permit is suitable. My county will issue to NYS residents, but unrestricted permits only.

(Berks County)

From what I found it looks like New Yorkers have to have a CCP (it looks like that's what they call it) to take their gun away from the residence and they have to have another permit to have it at their place of business. In other words...just to be able to take it to a range and shoot or go hunting with it they need a CCP and the restricted license permits them to do that. We don't need no stinkin' license (or permit) to do that in PA. Accordingly, it would be appropriate for PA to deny a LTCF to a NY resident who only has a permit to take his pistol to the range.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

That's enlightening. I wasn't aware that upstate folks were able to get unrestricted carry permits so easily. I live in Suffolk County, NY, which apparently has more rigorous controls. My point, however, is that I believe a NYS permit with a sportsman restriction requires as much vetting as an unrestricted carry permit applicant (Hopefully not another blatantly false assumption). If so, there's no logical reason to be denied a non resident PA license.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    It's unlikely you will receive a LTCF with a restricted NYS permit. I'm unaware of a specific prohibition, but the law requires your license to be a "similar document" . Many if not most sheriffs seem to view that as meaning an unrestricted permit allowing the carry of a concealed firearm for the purposes of self defense. Pa makes no distinction as to the purpose of a LTCF, but my guess is our sportsmen's permit is closer to your restricted permit, and that is used as a reason to not issue.....right or wrong. Strictly conjecture on my part. Your best bet is to contact as many individual departments and inquire IF they issue to non residents, and whether a restricted permit is suitable. My county will issue to NYS residents, but unrestricted permits only.
    1) It seems that a large number of PA sheriffs are just looking for any excuse to not have to deal with non-residents, particularly from NY. And that's really all this is.

2) NYS permits are odd. There are around seven different types of permits, but the vast (VAST! Like, 99%!) majority of permits issued are to "have and carry concealed." This includes what we are calling a "restricted permit" - it is a carry concealed permit with extra-legal restrictions applied to them by the licensing officer. "Extra-legal" means they are not specified in law - and also not enforceable by law. A person with a "restricted permit" can carry their gun concealed to all the same places a person with an unrestricted permit can. Legally speaking, there is absolutely no difference between an unrestricted and restricted permit.

Now, as I mentioned, there are other permit types, such as premises-only or for employment only, but they are exceedingly rare.

Please note that NYC permits are not the same thing as NYS permits - that's a whole different beast, and those permits are typically more along the lines of premises-only. What I say above is in regards to NYS permits.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Please note that NYC permits are not the same thing as NYS permits - that's a whole different beast, and those permits are typically more along the lines of premises-only. What I say above is in regards to NYS permits.
    I wouldn't even venture a guess how NYC permits work.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I wouldn't even venture a guess how NYC permits work.
    Almost only criminals get those.

Only retired law enforcement and civilians with special protection requirements can get an unrestricted carry in NYS. The rest of us have to settle for a NYS pistol license with a sportsman restriction. However, that is still a conceal carry permit, albeit not full carry. Do any sheriff's in PA take that into account?
    My last renewal in Centre County was in 2014. I was third in line when I walked in -- the two people ahead of me were a couple from New York state. They got their permits, and I got mine. It never occurred to me to ask them what type of permit they had from NY, though, unfortunately.

But Danny Nau has retired as sheriff of Centre County. As far as I know his successor hasn't made any policy changes, but I can't say that I've been following it very closely. I'm due to renew again in a few months, so perhaps I'll pick up some scuttlebutt when I go in for my renewal.
    Last edited by Greywolf; January 18th, 2019 at 08:57 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    My last renewal in Centre County was in 2014. I was third in line when I walked in -- the two people ahead of me were a couple from New York state. They got their permits, and I got mine. It never occurred to me to ask them what type of permit they had from NY, though, unfortunately.

But Danny Nau has retired as sheriff of Centre County. As far as I know his successor hasn't made any policy changes, but I can't say that I've been following it very closely. I'm due to renew again in a few months, so perhaps I'll pick up some scuttlebutt when I go in for my renewal.
    I don't know how things are there but my sheriff is a good guy who would tell me if I asked him. But I'm not due to go back there for a few years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123