Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: obtaining a PA non resident pistol carry permit

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Well, I suppose it is a good thing that it's now common knowledge that border counties are flagrantly violating the law in this regard.
    I think the Bradford County Sheriff did a deal with the Sheriff across the border in NY. Not sure of the status of that or how that all worked out.

One of the main excuses put forth is that these are small Sheriff offices with limited resources and that their core function is to work for the residents of the county and they don't have the staff to support a deluge of NY residents applying.

Until someone wants to sue it will remain as is.

appreciate everyone's help !

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    There is no penalty for them doing so...so...why not?
    I guess I'd expect a sheriff to respect and follow the law. And, perhaps, for his constituents to hold him accountable for not doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I think the Bradford County Sheriff did a deal with the Sheriff across the border in NY. Not sure of the status of that or how that all worked out.
    You are correct, he did.

One of the main excuses put forth is that these are small Sheriff offices with limited resources and that their core function is to work for the residents of the county and they don't have the staff to support a deluge of NY residents applying.
    Excuses don't work for me when I don't follow the law.

That's not to say I don't understand or empathize with the position. But the proper channel to address the matter is not by unlawfully restricting the rights of citizens. Sheriffs can contact their state representatives for some form of legislative relief, they can form groups and drum up support for their cause, they can sign petitions, they can back candidates sympathetic to their plight. Just like the rest of us are expected to do when we feel a law needs change.

Until someone wants to sue it will remain as is.
    Exactly.

I informed the sheriff of Susquehanna County that I would sue his office for refusing to accept my application. Lo and behold, two weeks later, he called to tell me he would issue to people from my county. In other words, he let up juuuuuuust enough to remove my standing. Now, I don't think I was the sole or even primary cause of this - I believe he had been working out a deal with the sheriff of my county well beforehand - but I don't think my genuine promise to see this through legally was without impact.

Only retired law enforcement and civilians with special protection requirements can get an unrestricted carry in NYS. The rest of us have to settle for a NYS pistol license with a sportsman restriction. However, that is still a conceal carry permit, albeit not full carry. Do any sheriff's in PA take that into account?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Didn't now-convicted former AG Kane do away with them?
    No, what she did away with was the ability for a PA resident to carry in PA on an out of state license/permit for a few of the states we that had reciprocity with, most notable were Utah and Florida. By the way, for what it's worth, and this came about after Kane, started in April 2018, PA only accepts resident out of state license/permit for the states we honor, have reciprocity with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasanna View Post
    Only retired law enforcement and civilians with special protection requirements can get an unrestricted carry in NYS. The rest of us have to settle for a NYS pistol license with a sportsman restriction. However, that is still a conceal carry permit, albeit not full carry. Do any sheriff's in PA take that into account?
    Blatantly false - don't post your assumptions as though they were fact. The vast majority of NYS counties will issue unrestricted permits. Remember, 90% of the state resides OUTSIDE the NYC bubble.

I know lots of people with permits. I don't think I know any with restricted permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasanna View Post
    Most sheriffs that issue to NYS residents are aware of the restrictions.
    And many NY counties do indeed issue non restricted permits. I know numerous regular folk with non restricted NYS pistol permits.
    Last edited by God's Country; January 16th, 2019 at 11:14 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Blatantly false - don't post your assumptions as though they were fact. The vast majority of NYS counties will issue unrestricted permits. Remember, 90% of the state resides OUTSIDE the NYC bubble.

I know lots of people with permits. I don't think I know any with restricted permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Most sheriffs that issue to NYS residents are aware of the restrictions.
    And many NY counties due indeed issue non restricted permits. I know numerous regular folk with non restricted NYS pistol permits.
    Yep, the gentleman that accompanied me to the Pittsburgh Rally has an unrestricted NYS license and a PA non-resident. He's neither retirement Leo or has a special protection anything that I'm aware of. He said he got his PA from Center Country.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Yep, the gentleman that accompanied me to the Pittsburgh Rally has an unrestricted NYS license and a PA non-resident. He's neither retirement Leo or has a special protection anything that I'm aware of. He said he got his PA from Center Country.
    Let's see, of the top of my head:

Me, my wife, my mother, my brother, my father in law, my mother in law all have unrestricted permits. That's three different upstate counties. No LEO relatives or anything special. If we include my friends, we can add seven more counties to that list.

I mean, geez, advertisements for classes to get your restrictions lifted are posted right in the sheriff's office.

Sorry to be ranting so much, I've just had it up to here with people stating falsehoods as fact. This is 2019, we have the internet, if someone is unsure of things, they are mere seconds from finding out the facts. There is just no excuse for posting opinions or assumptions as though they are fact.

That's enlightening. I wasn't aware that upstate folks were able to get unrestricted carry permits so easily. I live in Suffolk County, NY, which apparently has more rigorous controls. My point, however, is that I believe a NYS permit with a sportsman restriction requires as much vetting as an unrestricted carry permit applicant (Hopefully not another blatantly false assumption). If so, there's no logical reason to be denied a non resident PA license.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast