Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Want to start deer hunting

I also only started hunting as an adult with my father in law after I got married. The only thing I could add to everyone else's advice is that the required Game Comission "hunter safety course"is now available online. If you don't want to take the course with a bunch of 13 year olds, that's the way to go
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Westmoreland County)

Get the hunter safety course done asap, if your kids are 11 they need to take it as well. There is a fair amount of land to hunt up here near New Kensington if you're on this side of the city

(Berks County)

Once I have time I will post my 1st year experiences that I had this season. Welcome and my 1st piece of advice, get in the woods now and look and experience. I hear that's how you put it together but doesn't work for me ha ha! Seems good advice when you read it though. ;-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Carbon County)

Finding a good place to hunt is your biggest problem. Don't expect local hunters to be eager to tell you where they hunt. In fact expect them to lie to you. They do not want you shooting their deer. If you can find an older hunter whose hunting buddies have died off and whose wife doesn't trust him out in the woods alone because he might keel over and not be found until spring, then you may do well. He may even have some private land that only he can hunt and that the owner may be persuaded to let you on.

You guys are amazing! Thanks for all of the replies!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Can't help you on places to go in Allegheny Co or what gun is ok , bestguess would be muzzleloader , bow/crossbow and shotgun with slugs . Best thing to do is start spending some time out in the woods as much as you can , just go out and start walking around looking for sign like tree rubs and trails , take note of terrain features these trails follow and where they come from and go like from thickets and follow the curve of a bench or hill where are they feeding , ect. After enough time looking around you'll start seen patterns of where their moving to and from . The shooting part of hunting is just a small part of it all . Gotta put in the time knowing when and where the deer are and aren't at certain times of the day and night .
    Awesome! My family started hiking last year and plan to again this summer. Always looking for an excuse to get the kids into the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Start with signing up for a HSC. Download the summary from the PGC website, and start reading. That will answer most of your basic questions.

Start scouting potential hunting locations as soon as possible. Do everything you can to take advantage of the early seasons. There will be less hunters and the deer are more predictable. Try to hunt 3 consecutive days whenever/if possible.

There are other threads like this one in this forum. Read up. Lots of good newbie information in them.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Ask around your network of friends for someone who is an effective hunter. There is actually a mentored adult hunt allowed one season per adult.. so you can go with and learn and take a deer.
    You will also need to complete the Game Commission Hunter Safety Course.. get on it early because late in the Summer they are usually overfilled

Don't worry about getting some shoulder cannon.. a simple .243 is more than enough.. get a good quality scope .. if you buy new most gun stores will mount and scope in your rifle for free or small fee.. worth it!

and don't skimp on hunting ammo you should only need ONE box to shoot a few after the scope is set up.. after that maybe 3-4 rounds a year.. so get good hunting ammo.. .. for practice ammo (plinking) about most anything at the chain stores will work.

Don't be afraid to approach rural land owners and ask if you can hunt on any of their land. I usually offer to give them venison from any deer harvested off their land and make good on my promise
    Always a good idea, and now required if you meet a PAGC warden You need written permission to hunt on private land that is not yours.. there are blank examples on the PAGC website to print.

But you will usually learn more in one year from a good hunter than you can learn in several years by yourself.

Also check out local ranges and sportsman clubs until you find one you like
    I belong to a great club here in Pittsburgh, never thought to check around our members. I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    There aren't really any places to hunt in Allegheny County except for private land. But so long as you have permission, you can hunt within the other PGC rules.

You can hunt state parks, state forests, and state game lands - but read up on safety zones. You can hunt some County parks, but I don't know if there are any Allegheny County parks that are huntable.

Allegheny County is shotgun/muzzleloader/archery only, so don't go buying a centerfire rifle if you are set on hunting in the County - but don't be surprised if you need to drive about an hour to find someplace.
    I'm not married to hunting in Allegheny County, could certainly travel around the area. My dad stopped hunting when I was a kid after getting nearly shot on public lands.

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    Post #4 is good advice. Go out squirrel hunting. Still time for late season and good practice for deer. Sitting still, dressing appropriately, and gutting are almost identical to deer hunting. Just sitting in a squirrel area without a gun is good experience (park, etc.). They are harder to fool than deer. Other than that, study all you can on deer hunting basics, take a Hunter Safety Coarse (HSC, not Home Shoppers Channel), be aware of your backstop, be safe, and enjoy the outdoors. It's about the entire experience, not just the kill. Good Luck.
    Can I go onto public land to hunt squire ll? The only .22 I have is a Ruger, Mark IV, can I hunt them with a pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by wamba View Post
    Try to get on private land. Public land is like hunting on the moon.
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Land with access to hunt is tougher to find than it was just a few years ago. What side of town do you live on?
    I live in the South Hills, just off 19 about 10 mins from Wash County.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    One should probably note... Deer season actually hasn't passed! Flintlock & archery are happening right now, and if you're in Allegheny County, you can still go for a doe with a shotgun, and tags are still available. If you can find a place in Allegheny county (or rather, WMU 2B), you've got almost the entire month left. That being said, it might be a bit much to jump into right away.

As far as places go, everyone else has covered most of it. There's only one State Game Land in Allegheny County (SGL 203), and deer there can be tough to find, maybe even more so than other public land (it's a very small piece of land, and sees a pretty decent amount of traffic). There's nothing wrong with looking outside of Allegheny county. Consider this when applying for doe tags, as they are WMU specific. I personally hunt my sportsman's club. I have also heard that you can hunt Allegheny Land Trust properties if you apply for a free permit through them.

Allegheny county is shotgun (no buck shot, slug only), muzzleloader, and archery only.

Words of wisdom, well, from another relatively new hunter, I would say that the main way you're going to learn is to get out there and make mistakes - don't let the fear of making them stop you from hunting (as long as they're not mistakes that endanger yourself or others, of course). If you're free on Saturdays, I might be open to helping you with squirrel if you're looking for an adult mentor. I've got blaze orange that you can borrow, if need be. Again, I'm far from experienced (only started 4 years ago), but if you wanted someone to answer some questions and show you around, I don't mind.
    This is why I love this forum! Where are you at? I live in the south hills but have no trouble driving.

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    I also only started hunting as an adult with my father in law after I got married. The only thing I could add to everyone else's advice is that the required Game Comission "hunter safety course"is now available online. If you don't want to take the course with a bunch of 13 year olds, that's the way to go
    Good call! My oldest is only turning 10, I was thinking to wait and do it with him but think doing it online first and getting some time out there before he's old enough is a better plan.

Quote Originally Posted by shagreobe View Post
    Get the hunter safety course done asap, if your kids are 11 they need to take it as well. There is a fair amount of land to hunt up here near New Kensington if you're on this side of the city
    He's only turning 10, I'll have him do it next year though. My gun club offers the class, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Once I have time I will post my 1st year experiences that I had this season. Welcome and my 1st piece of advice, get in the woods now and look and experience. I hear that's how you put it together but doesn't work for me ha ha! Seems good advice when you read it though. ;-)
    Thanks, looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by wamba View Post
    Finding a good place to hunt is your biggest problem. Don't expect local hunters to be eager to tell you where they hunt. In fact expect them to lie to you. They do not want you shooting their deer. If you can find an older hunter whose hunting buddies have died off and whose wife doesn't trust him out in the woods alone because he might keel over and not be found until spring, then you may do well. He may even have some private land that only he can hunt and that the owner may be persuaded to let you on.
    I think I know the perfect guy!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post

This is why I love this forum! Where are you at? I live in the south hills but have no trouble driving.
    I tried to send you a Private Message, but your Inbox is full. If you free up some space, I'll send you some more info...

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I tried to send you a Private Message, but your Inbox is full. If you free up some space, I'll send you some more info...
    Sorry, cleaned out the inbox..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12