Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Interesting read.. always one in the chamber.. other wise, what's the point.

From Guns.com

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/27...IQwNFrst-wLLzE

FATAL WYOMING BEAR ATTACK: NO ROUND IN THE CHAMBER ON HANDGUN

11/27/18 10:30 AM | by Chris Eger

Mark Uptain, 37, a father of five, was mauled by two grizzly bears while trying to pack an elk out of the woods near Yellowstone National Park last week. A federal judge had previously blocked Wyoming’s grizzly season, which had been scheduled to begin Sept. 1. (Photo: GoFundMe)
    An ongoing investigation into a grizzly bear attack on some hunters that left a man dead has produced a preliminary recommendation that the outfitter company review their training.
    The Wyoming Occupational Safety and Health Administration, in conjunction with state conservation officials and the Teton County Sheriff’s office, has been examining the case of the bear attack on bowhunter Corey Chubon and hunting guide Mark Uptain, 37, that left the latter dead in September.
    Although both had bear spray and Uptain had a 10mm Glock in a shoulder holster, WyoFile reported that the gun, determined by investigators to be in working condition, did not have a round in the chamber and the guide had taken the pistol off while he helped Chubon dress an elk the sportsman had harvested.
    The bear, who conservation officers believe was attracted to the scent of the felled elk, attacked Uptain first and Chubon, who went for the handgun, could not get a shot off.
    “There was not a round in the chamber, so the gun was empty. He couldn’t make the gun work,” said Wyoming Game and Fish Regional Wildlife Supervisor Brad Hovinga, who went on to explain that the magazine was dropped from the gun at some point it was found in a different location from the Glock.
    A spent bear spray canister was found five feet from Uptain’s remains by investigators with Hovinga saying they “believe the fatal injuries occurred prior to him deploying” the spray.
    The OSHA alert on Uptain’s death urges Martin Outfitters, the company he worked for, to “evaluate its operating procedures for bear country.”
    “Carry a defense readily accessible,” said a warning from the agency on hunting in areas where bears may be present. “The knowledge of how to use your defense should be automatic.”
    The Yellowstone-area grizzly, banned from hunting under the Endangered Species Act after their population fell to as low as 136 animals in 1975, has now rebounded to well over 600, a fact that led federal officials to delist the animals from the act’s protections last year. With that, Wyoming and Idaho proceeded to allow limited hunting of the bears from the greater Yellowstone ecosystem outside of the park, set to begin Sept. 1, but has been blocked by a federal lawsuit from animal rights advocates. The bears have been the subject of dozens of high-profile encounters with humans as their population swelled, including at least four deaths since 2011.
    Conservation officers were able to trap one of the bears, a yearling grizzly, and were charged by an adult grizzly sow in the vicinity of the attack site, which they were forced to kill. It was later determined that both bears were believed involved in the attack on Chubon and Uptain, and the yearling was subsequently euthanized by authorities.
    A GoFundMe page for Uptain, to benefit his wife Sarah and his five children, had raised $208,000 as of Monday.
    The investigations into the incident are ongoing.

Default Re: Interesting read.. always one in the chamber.. other wise, what's the point.

Something similar happened to Hunter and author Steven Rinella and Remmy Warren more recently on a hunt in Alaska. They got comfortable and complacent with their gear and once the bear was on them all Hell broke loose. Lucky no one was hurt in the end but it taught these lifetime professional back wood hunters a valuable lesson.

If anyone's interested you can find their story told over two pod casts on Stevens web site, it's pretty insane.

Default Re: Interesting read.. always one in the chamber.. other wise, what's the point.

That is the main reason I sold my glock, never liked the idea of the gun being
    loaded with one in the pipe. I went with a double action. Now there is one in the pipe at
    all times, and the safety is always off.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    That is the main reason I sold my glock, never liked the idea of the gun being
    loaded with one in the pipe. I went with a double action. Now there is one in the pipe at
    all times, and the safety is always off.
    I rock a Da/Sa myself, but round in the chamber, half cocked, with safety on. All i need is a minor thumb swipe while drawing. So that I know how to make it work in a heartbeat, less likely someone can attempt a grab and start popping shots. I'm not a fan of one in the chamber and no safety, to many stranger things have happened in my life to chance it, if be in the woods on my dirtbike and be the lucky one to get shot by a tree haha

I never worry carrying a round in the chamber of my Glocks. Nothing is actually fully cocked until you pull the trigger. The firing pin can't even touch the primer.

I have carried 1911s, revolvers, USPs, Berettas, Glocks and even rifles with a round in the chamber for almost 30 years, never had an ND.
    Glocks are as safe or dangerous to carry as any other gun out there.
    They all go bang if you or something pulls the trigger.
    Last edited by :-); December 30th, 2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    I never worry carrying a round in the chamber of my Glocks. Nothing is actually fully cocked until you pull the trigger. The firing pin can't even touch the primer.
    Stop not perpetuating myths.

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    stranger things have happened in my life to chance it, if be in the woods on my dirtbike and be the lucky one to get shot by a tree haha
    Never really thought of that, I ride atvs when up state, and my holster is just a piece of
    cloth (blackhawk).

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    Thanks, never knew how they really worked til now. I remember sitting in class
    at my kids school meetings, damn near having an anxiety attack just thinking,
    if this thing goes off, I'm f----d. I still like a D/A though, less likely to have something
    go wrong as I dont use plastic holsters or retention holsters.

(Chester County)

This is a shame...

Conservation officers were able to trap one of the bears, a yearling grizzly, and were charged by an adult grizzly sow in the vicinity of the attack site, which they were forced to kill. It was later determined that both bears were believed involved in the attack on Chubon and Uptain, and the yearling was subsequently euthanized by authorities.

I would rather have a 44 S&W out there with the 10mm as a backup...
    Last edited by :-); December 30th, 2018 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast