Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Interesting read.. always one in the chamber.. other wise, what's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I’ve made it my life’s number one rule to not play with myself or my gun when I’m on the crapper.
    Damn, thats where I do most of my gunsmithing.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Interesting read.. always one in the chamber.. other wise, what's the point.

Situations dictate what you do. Having an empty chamber hanging over a big fresh kill of an elk in grizzly country is not a great idea. And it is quite possible that even if chambered he may not have been able to get rounds on target or even stop the attack if he had. Grizzlies take a lot of killing and they don't wear bells around their neck.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I’ve made it my life’s number one rule to not play with myself or my gun when I’m on the crapper.
    Damn. I'll have to go back now and reevaluate my rules.

Everyone has their own comfort level about what they carry and how they carry.

I basically started with Glock and have continued carrying Glock and Kahr.

None of my carry guns leave the house without a chambered round.
    I chamber check every day when I put a gun on.

I stared with a G32, converted it to .40, got a Kahr P9 Covert as a bug, got a G19 after a hand injury, got a G17, converted the G32 from the .40 bbl back to .357 sig.

I now carry the G19 as a primary and the Kahr P9 Covert as a backup (many times the primary).

I was nervous at first to carry chambered until I took a few 3 day classes and ran a lot of rounds.
    Now, I can't fathom not having a gun fully charged.

That's my comfort zone. No external safeties.

I got my kids a couple S&W 9mm Shields WITH safeties. They will likely not shoot enough or train enough in the near future.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Shield with safety off... living on the edge.

The Shield with a safety is no different than the one with no safety. Leaving it off changes nothing.

Chambered round, of course.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Shield with safety off... living on the edge.

The Shield with a safety is no different than the one with no safety. Leaving it off changes nothing.

Chambered round, of course.
    I've taught them to use the safety. I would have gotten one without for me.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Round in the chamber was not the issue here as much as complacency by people that should have known better.
    When dressing deer in bear country, I have a partner with a rifle- with a round chambered- watching for bears.

My anecdotal experience with carrying a chambered round is that if I had not, I would probably not be here now.
    Nevertheless I don't stand in judgement of the unchambered- do as thou woudst.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'd carry a 12 gauge in bear country.
    #7.5 trap loads or 00 buck?

(Erie County)

That's why my back country gun is a ruger super alaskan in .454. My back country rifle is a Rossi lever in .454 (no longer made).

Bear country means bears.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Round in the chamber was not the issue here as much as complacency by people that should have known better.
    When dressing deer in bear country, I have a partner with a rifle- with a round chambered- watching for bears.

My anecdotal experience with carrying a chambered round is that if I had not, I would probably not be here now.
    Nevertheless I don't stand in judgement of the unchambered- do as thou woudst.
    When I was living in CO the elk hunters had problems with the grizzlies following them and then taking their elk.

(Bucks County)

It's a tragedy full of well-documented lessons in what and what not to do while involved in the described activity. To find fault with the victim invites scorn expressed as Monday morning quarterbacking, but had the guided person been the victim, the Guide might have been held accountable for failing to provide the guidance needed to conduct the hunt in safety. I'm thinking when someone holds himself out to be a guide, and receives remuneration for the service, he should have the credentials (training, experience, license, certification) addressing all aspects of the activity. Being armed with a handgun not ready for use ranks right up there with a ND.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast