Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Home Defense: 00 Buck or #4 Buck?

I live in a single brick rancher style home. All variables considered should I use 00 buck or #4 buck for home defense?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Home Defense: 00 Buck or #4 Buck?

For indoor home defense it makes absolutely no difference. Center hit = all over.

But if you are concerned about the shot overpenetrating drywall you might want to consider going to regular 6 shot loads. It will still ruin a bad guys day but have a less chance of overpenetrating multiple layers of drywall. There are all kinds of videos on youtube that demonstrate this and show the damage shotguns can do up close.

I would also suggest 2 3/4 inch shells. You don't need 3 inch magnums.

(Chester County)

#4 buck will do the job nicely at close range with less risk of over penetration through walls (or bodies) that could cause serious injury to persons on the other side of the intended target.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Lancaster County)

There's very little spread at the home defense distance so more pellets in the#4 doesn't give you much advantage that way but it does lose energy more quickly and doesn't penetrate as many layers of drywall. Either should end an altercation quickly, and be just as messy to clean up.

(Montgomery County)

I’ve seen Youtube videos demonstrating bird ahot as a viable option for any “in home” situation. I mean i couldn’t take a shot farther than like 25 feet in my home. How much could the shot spread at that distance? you hit a dude with birdshot at that dostance and its a bad day for him.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I’ve seen Youtube videos demonstrating bird ahot as a viable option for any “in home” situation. I mean i couldn’t take a shot farther than like 25 feet in my home. How much could the shot spread at that distance? you hit a dude with birdshot at that dostance and its a bad day for him.
    I may be wrong, but I think you're confusing #4 buck with #4 shot. Big difference. I wouldn't go big game hunting with bird shot, but #4 buck will bring down a deer.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think you're confusing #4 buck with #4 shot. Big difference. I wouldn't go big game hunting with bird shot, but #4 buck will bring down a deer.
    And at home defense distances both will take down a criminal with power to spare. You can't sew up 2-3 inches of hamburger.

Are correct. You can't take a deer at 30 yards with standard 4 shot (not buck). But you wont be defending yourself from a criminal at 30 yards either.

Even then, a hit with any shotgun (even with birdshot) at that distance will definitely make them stop and think.

(Perry County)

Suppressed AR. Otherwise you may as well drop a flash-bang at your feet.

Yeah, I always hate that guy that opines with an answer that wasn't part of the question. Either option will do the job and be very accurate within house distances. We did a drill shooting the silhouette target at 7 yards in the head. They all hit the head, every single time.

I'm not a fan of birdshot. It may be enough to stop the action, it may not. Not a chance I'd want to take. If I'm shooting someone, it means they are dangerous and must be stopped.

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/4-buck
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

BTW.... My Mossie is loaded with Aguila minishells that have a mix of #4 and 00 and have the recoil of a 20 gauge with more rounds in the tube ...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    BTW.... My Mossie is loaded with Aguila minishells that have a mix of #4 and 00 and have the recoil of a 20 gauge with more rounds in the tube ...
    I have that also, but in the Shockwave. The 590A1 is all 00.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast