Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Lee carbide Factory crimp Die

Anyone on here use these handgun round crimp Dies, I use the Lee Factory crimp Dies on all my Rifle rounds. But have never use The Lee die with pistol or revolver Rounds. Mid-Way have them on sale.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lee carbide Factory crimp Die

I use them for autoloading pistols (9mm and .45) and have them as the last step in my progressive press. These do a good job in correcting a bulged base and correct anything that will stop the round from chambering. I believe the handgun dies are also taper crimp and that is better than a roll crimp for autoloaders. I do not do any crimping at the bullet seater die and use the Factory crimp to set the final crimp.

I do not use these for straight walled revolver cartridges. For those I use the roll crimp of the standard bullet seating die.

(Beaver County)

I use them for every caliber I reload for. Where they really shine is when you load alot of lead bullets. It is really nice to keep the seating and crimping steps separate.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

They work great. So good i don't even check my ammo anymore to see if it drops into the chamber.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lebanon County)

yeap, good stuff.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Cumberland County)

hornady,

I'll never use one. If your rounds don't chamber, it is because they are not the correct size for the chamber. The LFCD for pistol is a completely different animal than the LFCD for rifle. The rifle die crimps by collet - I have no issue with this if you desire a crimp on your rifle rounds. The pistol die is essentially a swage. I respectfully disagree with my friends - that if rounds won't chamber for an unknown reason - just essentially crush (strong verb but just trying to be descriptive) it to size.

Will it work? Yes. Will you shoot good groups? Yes to maybe. Will you have a catastrophic failure of your pistol? No to probably not.

Is this the way I learned to to correct a reloading problem almost 4.5 decades ago? NO. Not all reloading headaches need to be corrected by mechanical intervention. Sizing brass, yes. Sizing lead bullets, yes. Finished rounds, not me.

Again, no disrespect to the other fellas, and sure not trying to pick a debate.

Just my .05 cents worth. I've received interest for 45yrs.

Best wishes for good results! A safe and happy New Year to everyone.

fritz
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Westmoreland County)

I have used the Lee Factory crimp on all my Rifle rounds and as stated they work great on cast bullets. 90% of my shooting in handgun and rifle are with cast bullets. Chambering rounds has not been a problem for me for many years. In crimping bullets I cast, occasionally the crimp from standard die’s squeeze a small amount of lube out of the case. Not so much with the Lee die. Using the Lee die with jacketed rifle rounds, seems to shoot tighter group for me as well.

(Centre County)

I do not use the taper crimp die to "resize" my finished rounds,, they should be properly sized when they come out of the bullet seater. If you are seeing bulged cases after it comes out of the bullet seater, then either your sizing die or expander plug is set up incorrectly or there might not be anything wrong, measure the "bulge" and see if it is in specs. If not in spec, you need to check your dies. The taper crimp should only be used to give a proper tension on the bullet on ammo that uses the rim of the cartridge for proper head spacing. I use a roll crimp on rounds that head space on the rim (.38 spl, .44 mag, .45 Colt, etc.). I also use a roll crimp on rifle ammo that head spaces on the rim. If a rifle round head spaces on the shoulder, either one (taper or roll) can be used as long as it holds the bullet securely. If you are setting up a precision single shot rifle and are setting the round so that the bullet is touching the lands of the barrel, you are probably better off using a taper crimp die, setting it to just remove the "bell" on the mount of the round so that you don't inadvertently cause some over pressure that will adversely affect your accuracy.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Definitely use them. They help with neck tension of the bullet without biting into the bullet like a roll crimp does. They maintain the headspace engagement of the case mouth on semi-auto pistol cartridges and prevent set-back on revolver cartridges when using plated bullets. Factory crimp enables neck tightness without damaging the plating on plated bullets.

(Warren County)

My 1911's insist on this step for cast bullets. Otherwise they don't fit in the chamber. My other .45s (ruger and Hi point) will eat them without FCD, but not the 1911s.

So I use them.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast