Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default need help with an antique (assuming) St ETIENNE 12g double barrel

hey fellas..

its been a while since ive been on, hope all my ol' buds are doing good..

heres the deal, im in greece and came across a French St Etienne 12g double barrel that according to the owner, his grandfather bought it here in europe turn of the century, late 1800' early 1900's and has been having a hard time finding out details on it, and being into antiques firearms am also having a hard time finding info especially since i want to buy it and bring it home for resale..

i was able to find out the history of St Etienne itself and the history of the city, but thats it..

any one have any insight on this shotgun?

ive attached pics of all markings for reference if anyone can help,

its serial number "1205", has roll marks of "PT" with a crown over the letters on the locking block

and stamped "ACIER SPECIAL" on one barrel and "ELEPHANT LEGER" on the other...

Attachment 113540Attachment 113541

the gun is in really good shape considering its age and everything functions correctly using 12g snapcaps.. i didnt want to fire it using modern rds.. low pressure rds are unheard of here
    Last edited by ghost183; December 29th, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: need help with an antique (assuming) St ETIENNE 12g double barrel

PT is a proof mark for smokeless powder. "Acier Special" is the manufacturer/grade of the barrels. A photo of the proofs on the barrel flats will give more info. You should have it looked over by a qualified gunsmith. You ought to be able to find 65mm (2 1/2") 28 gram (1 oz) loads most anywhere in Europe.