Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The .458 magnum

(York County)

Default Re: The .458 magnum

The Savage was a early model 110 chambered in 300 win mag.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    What was the donor action originally? I might have to consider building a Savage like that. Very cool.

I'm currently looking for a donor rifle to swap a 35 whelen barrel on. Just need to find a beater 110, since I'm probably scrapping everything but the action.
    Every day's a Saturday

(York County)

Nice looking rifles what year is your model 70 it looks like a push feed mine is a control feed made in the late 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I like them too. The one on the left is a Winchester Model 70. The one on the right is a CZ Safari. I had issues with it feeding the short .458 Win Mag out of the long Box magazine so I reamed it out to .458 Lott. Problem solved.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Every day's a Saturday

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not sure of the year, it is a push feed though. It does shoot good but I like the CZ much better.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(York County)

What does your CZ weigh? It looks nice and I like the magazine option.

I'm not sure of the year, it is a push feed though. It does shoot good but I like the CZ much better.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    The Savage was a early model 110 chambered in 300 win mag.
    That's what I figured. Great, now I have to find a 300 too that's a beater.

(Westmoreland County)

CZ's website says 9.38 pounds. It has a good stock design that seems to reduce felt recoil. The Winchester not so much.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(York County)

Damn - I need another .458 like I need a hole in my head but now a CZ is on my bucket list - That's a nice looking rifle.

CZ's website says 9.38 pounds. It has a good stock design that seems to reduce felt recoil. The Winchester not so much.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by edritchey View Post
    Damn - I need another .458 like I need a hole in my head but now a CZ is on my bucket list - That's a nice looking rifle.
    Be careful with the Win Mag's. The feeding problem has happened to many others, not just me. I'd go straight to the Lott. The problem is that the magazine box is long enough to chamber 375 H&H, the 416's etc. The shorter Win mag combined with the CRF caused the bullet to tip upwards creating failures to feed. If it were a push feed it probably would not be an issue. I like the Lott because I can load it to full Win Mag potential. Perhaps even a 50-100 fps more with out approaching anywhere near max loads. Of course you could go the other way towards the .45-70 too. I'd hate to see what factory Lott costs but Hornady brass is affordable, not much more the Win Mag.

The .375 H&H is a very cool caliber too IMHO for the same reasons I like the .458's. You can load it up for cape buffalo or down load it to 375 Win for white tails. It also has a trajectory virtually identical to a .30-06.

(York County)

I have a nice Colt Sauer Grand Alaskan in 375 H&H Mag. It's a great caliber.

I might check out the CZ in a 458 Lott

Be careful with the Win Mag's. The feeding problem has happened to many others, not just me. I'd go straight to the Lott. The problem is that the magazine box is long enough to chamber 375 H&H, the 416's etc. The shorter Win mag combined with the CRF caused the bullet to tip upwards creating failures to feed. If it were a push feed it probably would not be an issue. I like the Lott because I can load it to full Win Mag potential. Perhaps even a 50-100 fps more with out approaching anywhere near max loads. Of course you could go the other way towards the .45-70 too. I'd hate to see what factory Lott costs but Hornady brass is affordable, not much more the Win Mag.

The .375 H&H is a very cool caliber too IMHO for the same reasons I like the .458's. You can load it up for cape buffalo or down load it to 375 Win for white tails. It also has a trajectory virtually identical to a .30-06.
    Every day's a Saturday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12