Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montour County)

Default Remington 760 Gamemaster 6mm

Can anyone tell me if there is anything special about a Remington 760 GameMaster in 6mm Remington? I have one in very good condition that was left to me by my grandgather and he was of the belief that it was one of the rare models that is worth more than a conventional 760. Approximate value of one with 50 rounds down the barrel in great condition?

Default Re: Remington 760 Gamemaster 6mm

I don't know jack squat about Rem 760 collector values but that sounds like a really neat and unique rifle that you should never sell.

(Montour County)

Funny story: He HATED the rifle. I believe the story was that he used it once and had to shoot a buck a few extra times so he took the scope off it and stuffed it in the back of the safe for 40 years

(Lehigh County)

The 6mm Remington was supposed to compete with the 243 Winchester, and was not very popular so the production numbers might be smaller than usual thus making it a 'rare' piece to the right collector. Other than that I do not know of any particular significance. The 6mm is a fine cartridge for whitetails and smaller game, so I would consider taking it out for a hunt `(or at least a shoot) if I were you. The value is in the memory.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by jt13 View Post
    Funny story: He HATED the rifle. I believe the story was that he used it once and had to shoot a buck a few extra times so he took the scope off it and stuffed it in the back of the safe for 40 years
    Might be a good gun for hog hunting

6mm is a flat shooting low recoil round,I have not owned one for 20 years but nothing but good things to say about the round,Mine was a bolt action remington jeweled bolt,the 760 probably has more value and i would say about $ 600 depending on condition.Congrats !

(Columbia County)

I see your from Danville, I am from Bloomsburg. If you ever want to sell let me know I would purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    The 6mm Remington was supposed to compete with the 243 Winchester, and was not very popular , , ,

IIRC , the 6mm Remington rifles used a slower twist than Winchester and wouldn't stabilize heavier bullets which were better for deer size game.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

In bolt action, they were an attempt to get into the varmint game. Magazine writers pretty much killed it, basically saying there was no reason to switch off of the .243.

I recall there was an aftermarket device for the 760 to make it more accurate. I think it was an alternate way of attaching the front of the sling, or securing the magazine to the barrel.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

You have a nice collectible rifle. The 6mm Rem is basically the same as a .243 Win but it never really caught on. Your dad probably didn't like it because he was old school and felt that a .30 caliber or larger was the best for deer (I am old school too and tend to agree with him..........that is another story). But it is a fine hunting round.

There are pluses and minuses to a rifle like this. Big plus is that collectors love them and they are much rarer than a .243. Big minus is that it is harder and more expensive to find ammo for it. You will need to reload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast