Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: NRA is up for renewal 2019 yea or nay?

Just go ahead and get a lifetime membership then you don't have to agonize over it anymore.
    The NRA isn't perfect but they are "mostly" on our side and they do carry a lot more political weight than any other pro-gun organization. Even if you don't like everything they do, we still need them.
    On a side note, the NRA probably just realizes how dumb bump stocks really are. IMO the addition of a bumpstock should reclassify the gun as a full-auto, they got that right. The addition of a bump stock has one purpose and that's the same purpose as swapping out the sear and disconnector. The real question is "should full-autos be available without a special license?" Until we have that, the bumpstock issue means nothing by itself.
    Last edited by ray h; December 28th, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have to renew mine if I want to keep my membership at the local range, it's mandatory. I don't know why but I will try to find out.
    Likely for the privilege of being an "affiliated" club. My understanding is that affiliation helps with insurance, and expands options for events that can be hosted at the club (which equals income for the club).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

I've never been a member, but I've been a member of GOA for years and regularly donate extra when they have a big push going on. NO COMPROMISES!

If GOA had the membership of the NRA, do you think we would have the (illegally passed) Hughes Amendment on the books?

(Lancaster County)

I upgraded from Life to " Patriot Endowment" with their last discount special, check the website often, they run upgrade discounts from time to time, been a lifer since 1985

I do want to say is nothing has been banned yet, why all the negative bitching. "It ain't over till the fat lady sings" and something signed into legislation.

Also why as a group do we need to put blame on the NRA or POTUS, why cant we put the blame on Stephen Paddock ? (and /or whoever was behind him, guess we will never know)

Its not about a piece of plastic, one pull one shot, and trigger mods. Its really about the Pew,Pew,Pew that comes out of the end of the barrel. If it walks,swims,quacks like a duck...well then its a duck

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    I upgraded from Life to " Patriot Endowment" with their last discount special, check the website often, they run upgrade discounts from time to time, been a lifer since 1985

I do want to say is nothing has been banned yet, why all the negative bitching. "It ain't over till the fat lady sings" and something signed into legislation.

Also why as a group do we need to put blame on the NRA or POTUS, why cant we put the blame on Stephen Paddock ? (and /or whoever was behind him, guess we will never know)

Its not about a piece of plastic, one pull one shot, and trigger mods. Its really about the Pew,Pew,Pew that comes out of the end of the barrel. If it walks,swims,quacks like a duck...well then its a duck
    Paddock and every other creep that has used a gun to commit a crime get their own blame. They were responsible for their actions not the gun. He does not have the power to take rights away though. He is not saying that rights should be taken away.

The NRA gets blame in this area because they are suppose to be the #1 supporter of people who own guns and the 2nd Amendment. In this case they actively said “hey, we should review bump stocks, we believe they should be regulated. Part of their joint statement from exflyguys post.

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement
    Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations”

That is why they are getting some blame here. I did not send a lot of money to the NRA for them to make calls for gun control and put more limits on the 2nd and the rights of Americans...... but that is what they did.

As for Trump..... he gets blame for abusing his power (imo) and using his agencies to take a device that freaking Obama’s administration said was legal, and make it illegal. On top of that they have the gall to say that since it was something that should have been illegal in the first place, no one will receive just compensation for bump stocks. You just have to destroy them. Even though many people in part bought and sold it because the Obama administration said it was legal. If Obama had done this...... more supporters of the 2nd would be losing their minds and people would be calling for impeachment.

Seriously, just because Trump is better than Hillary would be does not mean we should look the other way when he goes after the 2nd. When he does well I will support him and his actions. When he appoints a Gorsuch and many lower court judges that support the 2nd I am happy. But when he actively goes after the 2nd he has to know that people who voted for him are not happy and feel betrayed by those actions. And just because the NRA has done a lot for gun rights (imo) does not mean that we should ignore when they call for limits on the 2nd.

Basically Paddock get the blame for his actions. The NRA and Trump get blame for theirs.

While Trump and the NRA are actively calling for limits to the 2nd..... Other pro gun groups now find themselves in a position that they have to spend money and time to fight the actions of the NRA and Trump. Time and money that could be spent on battles that the antis are throwing at us now have to go elsewhere. I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I think about this.
    Last edited by internet troll; December 28th, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Not to add insult to injury too quickly, but I got a renewal email claiming my membership is ending, but my ID card has an expiration date of March 2020, as i renewed earlier this year.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Just go ahead and get a lifetime membership then you don't have to agonize over it anymore.
    The NRA isn't perfect but they are "mostly" on our side and they do carry a lot more political weight than any other pro-gun organization. Even if you don't like everything they do, we still need them.
    On a side note, the NRA probably just realizes how dumb bump stocks really are. IMO the addition of a bumpstock should reclassify the gun as a full-auto, they got that right. The addition of a bump stock has one purpose and that's the same purpose as swapping out the sear and disconnector. The real question is "should full-autos be available without a special license?" Until we have that, the bumpstock issue means nothing by itself.
    wow.

Another endorsement for not renewing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post

That reads like another "friend" who is OK with banning certain items.

Thanks.

(Perry County)

I get tired of trying to figure people out, their motivations, their machinations.

As I read the article over in the bump-stock thread, it sounds like the NRA may have been playing a little 3D chess. Push an easily manipulated POTUS into doing what they knew he couldn't do--an executive ban on bump-stocks. With the idea that it would appease the grabbers long enough that they'd lose interest. Considering how much evidence exists of the ATF saying "we can't ban these" it should be short work in court using their very own analysis to shut down their new edict.

Or was it the NRA and Trump working together to throw the dog a bone--attached to a fishing line? "Ooooh, you missed it by that much" as the bone is yanked away by the courts.

I don't know, and that's the problem with schemes and why I don't like scheming. I don't want to analyze your apparent motives versus your true motives. Figure out what your end game is. It's fine for a TV show or movie when it all gets wrapped up in a nice little bow. Real life is too messy for such games.

For now, I'm going to assume Trump decided bump-stocks were bad and banned them unlawfully. I'm going the assume the NRA rolled over and gave away something without a fight to head off more comprehensive legislation. I'll stay mad at them without proof of the above. But it's going to keep gnawing at me.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Washington County)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast