Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ok I'm convinced

A wound from a firearm can really only incapacitate in two physical ways. Causing the target to bleed out or cut the targets nervous system wiring to shut down an important function. There is an additional way to incapacitate (the most preferred way) is the target deciding to surrender and cease hostilities. Handgun ammo is all about compromises, it must be portable, not have severe recoil or blast and must penetrate in the Goldilocks zone (not too shallow or too deep). Most of the decent defensive ammo out there is comparable.

More importantly is to check your POI/POA for your training ammo and your carry ammo and know it inside out. Additionally, invest in upgrading your soft skills through training and practice and smile.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

I used to get super wrapped up in bullet weights, terminal ballistics, brands, all sorts of stuff, but then I realized I never actually shot enough of my defensive ammo to be able to rely on it. As such, I don't like to carry ammo that I can't readily get for a good price. Have a nice pile of Federal 124gr +P hollow points (LE marked), there's a shop that always has it, and it's always fairly priced.

Lately, I've also been tossing .38 into the mix. Same deal. Everyone has Winchester and Remington +P hollow points in stock.

Sure, some brands may be marginally more effective, but I don't want to get back into that rut of "Gee, I paid a LOT for this carry ammo, I better not shoot a lot of it."

Not rich enough to train on "hyper" ammo, so standard available SD loads for me.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Update.... Know you've been waiting for it. So, never did buy any Barnes Ballistic Body Busters but just saw a great deal on Federal HST 124gr 9mm jhp for $29.95 per 50count from SGAmmo.com and grabbed 3 boxes. When they get here and check out to be ok will probably grab some more. It's almost half price compared to other sources I've seen.
    Didn't read all of the thread before posting. Smart move. There's a shop in Chalfont, PA (Authority Arms) that stocks it pretty regularly and the price is competitive with the websites. I always buy at least a box whenever I find myself up that way with a minute or so to spend.

(Chester County)

Yeah, just ordered another 100 of +P with the intention of making sure my guns like it and I am comfortable shooting it.

(Delaware County)

I was just re-reading this thread and saw this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    A 45 is always .45. It doesn't need to expand.
    On that note, happy birthday to John Moses Browning.

(Blair County)

I use ranger T, critical duty, or winchester pdx1( which chronos and incredible 1290 fps out of a G26) in my 9s. Nosler 155 bonded @ 1550 for 10mm, and the Winchester super x (platinum tip 260gr @ 1800fps) for 454 casull.
    Last edited by Edg; January 25th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

(Blair County)

I also got a hell of a deal last year on pmc starfire 9mm. 6.99 per 20. last year so obought 10 boxes of that. I wouldnt feel outgunned with some 90s tech bullets.

(Susquehanna County)

I carry and shoot Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm pistols.. based solely off reviews, videos and blowing up gallon jugs full of colored water

in my 1911 45ACP I shoot Fort Scott 180gr. video of ballistic gel is fairly impressive and the thought of that chuck of copper lead tumbling and dispersing all that energy.. I like it
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I carry and shoot Hornady Critical Defense in my 9mm pistols.. based solely off reviews, videos and blowing up gallon jugs full of colored water

in my 1911 45ACP I shoot Fort Scott 180gr. video of ballistic gel is fairly impressive and the thought of that chuck of copper lead tumbling and dispersing all that energy.. I like it
    9mm critical defense is also what I use in my edc, since the bbl is less then 4".
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234