Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default which .357 lever rifle?

I have tentatively decided to pick up a lever gun in 357. I went to a local shop and, somewhat to my surprise, found three options. The shop had a Rossi, a Henry, and a newer Marlin. Any opinions on which I should get? Is there one I should especially avoid? Any advise would be appreciated.

Default Re: which .357 lever rifle?

First question you want to ask yourself
    1. Side gate loading or tube fed
    It'll help narrow down your options

(Allegheny County)

I like Henry rifles. I don't like that there is no side loading gate.
    Some like that you can dump the initial rounds in faster by inserting them into the end of the tube, while others prefer to be able to "top off" the magazine at any time by pushing rounds in through the side of the receiver.

I have a Henry Bug Boy and it’s a beautifully made rifle in every way. It's smooth and accurate with the only negative being it's on the heavy side but I did choose the octagon barrel. Side loading isn’t important to me since I have no other use for the rifle then a fun day of plinking. If your looking for an heirloom quality rifle when it comes to fit and finish then consider Henry.

New Marlin products were all sorts of messed up a few years back since Remington took them over and moved production to their N.Y. facility. Don’t know if that ever was fully resolved but I personally wouldn’t take the chance since I hate what the Freedom Group has done to several solid companies while working with that POS gov in NYS.

Rossi and Umberti are imports I don’t know much about Rossi other then I believe they were recently acquired by Taurus. Umberti makes some of the best high end authentic replica lever action rifles there are and people seem to love them.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 27th, 2018 at 12:57 PM.

(Chester County)

I say Henry. I have a basic Henry .22LR. Even my basic .22 Henry is built very well. ....ughhh between this thread and watching a lot of Longmire episodes over my staycation I see a new lever rifle in the future.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Allegheny County)

I say anything with a side loading gate because tube feeding is gay.

Name the last western you've watched where they loaded a lever gun at the end of the magazine tube...

I'd suggest an old, beat up Marlin, but fer Chrissake, they still command an arm and a leg.

It's really up to you. Most all of them are going to do well for you.
    It's just that tube fed is gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (except for it being gay)

Have I mentioned that tube fed lever guns are gay?

(I have a Henry 22 large loop, BTW)

(Westmoreland County)

I have several lever rifles. The only ones that are tube loaded are my 9422's. And if I could change that I would. Side loading is quick 'n easy and you don't have to hold the barrel up to load. But...that's just me.

(Centre County)

I'd class myself a traditionalist and like the side loading on lever guns but damn, Henry makes a great rifle and everything I have seen/heard/read they have great customer service.

I didn't think an inanimate object (rifle) could have a sexual orientation EM (the ME). Surely you're not saying you're a tiny bit gay are you? (I know, "don't call me Shirley"). Or are you using the word gay as in happy like "a tube feeding rifle is a happy rifle"
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Mercer County)

Do you want to use optics? If yes Henry big boy, or Marlin 1894, no optic Winchesters or clones 1873, 1892. 1892 are supposed to be strongest if you want to shoot hot reloads. The 1873 is going to be the fastest if you want to play cowboy games (1866 probably faster, but limited to 38s). Henry you are stuck with rimfire style tube loading and longer reload time if you also want for home / personal defense. Marlins you need to look over closely as there were /are major qc issues for several years after Remington bought Marlin.
    Last edited by rellisonii; December 27th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'd class myself a traditionalist and like the side loading on lever guns but damn, Henry makes a great rifle and everything I have seen/heard/read they have great customer service.

I didn't think an inanimate object (rifle) could have a sexual orientation EM (the ME). Surely you're not saying you're a tiny bit gay are you? (I know, "don't call me Shirley"). Or are you using the word gay as in happy like "a tube feeding rifle is a happy rifle"
    Well if your a traditionalist the tube fed came before the rear loading gate.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast