Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Failure to Feed - Sig P229 .40sw

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I really appreciate the help. Had my mags topped off over night. The tension in the spring while loading them doesn't seem consistent like my experience with Glock mags. The best way I can think of to describe it is "erratic force necessary to load" not stacking force like I would expect ? Maybe I'll run to the LGS and grab a new one. I expect to give things one more shot before I call SIG back today.

With regard to Noah's suggestion of recoil spring- that is the only wonky thing I can find visually. Picture below. I initially assumed it was a SIG thing? It does NOT slide freely on the guide rod. In fact I haven't been able to pull it off for fear of damaging it. It is stuck down at the lip/seat end of the rod. I can't even spin or rotate it. The unsupported end of the spring is kind of curved and unsymmetrical but I have no experience with SIG braided recoil springs. Note: It is painted a sky blue color at the seated end.

Well there's part of your problem. That's the wrong recoil spring. The Sig P229 recoil spring for .40 S&W is blue, not white. The white one is for the 9mm P229.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Well there's part of your problem. That's the wrong recoil spring. The Sig P229 recoil spring for .40 S&W is blue, not white. The white one is for the 9mm P229.
    The picture is misleading. It's blue
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    It is suppose to be tight at one end... My 229 is the same way as yours.. I you lived closer I would give you a used mag to try out...

The spring can come off, it just takes a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    That spring looks like it got jammed between the guide rod and slide upon assembly.

I would replace it if you can do so easily
    Nope. That looks like mine as well, and I've shot about 200 rounds without a single feed issue.

Edit: Here are my Sig P229 barrels and springs. Left is .40, and right is 9mm.

sig3.jpg
    Last edited by t1066; December 27th, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

(Bucks County)

Just noticed something else going back to your earlier picture. I think your feed ramp looks different than mine. The barrel is what I got with the Red Box. Your profile looks much more rounded than mine.

Just something to think about.

sig4.jpg

(Wyoming County)

Just shot 2 full mags. Still having same problem.

Of some note though- the way I was able to get it to chamber and thus shoot 2 mags. I physically had to use my finger to push up on the muzzle and therefore cause the barrel to tilt just enough to lower the feedramp a smidge. By doing so the round chambered. It was 50/50 hit or miss whether the next round would chamber after firing or I would have to lock slide to the rear and push the muzzle up again. There is definitely some sort of geometry problem that goes beyond me.

*Just occurred to me that my solution wasn't the smartest thing to do......my bad. Anyway just got off the phone with SIG and they are sending me a shipping label
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; December 27th, 2018 at 12:58 PM.

(Bucks County)

If you are looking for used mags.. Aim Surplus has .40 LEO used turn ins for $14.95 a piece.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Just shot 2 full mags. Still having same problem.

Of some note though- the way I was able to get it to chamber and thus shoot 2 mags. I physically had to use my finger to push up on the muzzle and therefore cause the barrel to tilt just enough to lower the feedramp a smidge. By doing so the round chambered. It was 50/50 hit or miss whether the next round would chamber after firing or I would have to lock slide to the rear and push the muzzle up again. There is definitely some sort of geometry problem that goes beyond me.

*Just occurred to me that my solution wasn't the smartest thing to do......my bad. Anyway just got off the phone with SIG and they are sending me a shipping label
    Good that SIG is sending you a shipping label. They need to see that recoil spring also. I have a P229 in .40 also and it has never given me a problem with any type of ammo. Hopefully SIG will recognize that your gun has a problem and take care of it. Let us know what happens and what they find (if they tell you).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Good that SIG is sending you a shipping label. They need to see that recoil spring also. I have a P229 in .40 also and it has never given me a problem with any type of ammo. Hopefully SIG will recognize that your gun has a problem and take care of it. Let us know what happens and what they find (if they tell you).
    Will do!

(Elk County)

I have three P228s in 9mm and one P229 in .40, and none of the four recoil springs are kinked at the end like that in your P229.

Glad to hear they are sending a label.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I have three P228s in 9mm and one P229 in .40, and none of the four recoil springs are kinked at the end like that in your P229.

Glad to hear they are sending a label.

Noah
    This^^^

As per my post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast