Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Failure to Feed - Sig P229 .40sw

Picked up a "Certified Pre-Owned" Factory Refurbed 229 today. Excited as all hell. Gun looks great. Unfortunately my excitement was short lived.

Loaded 10 rounds of FMJ in a 12 round mag and slapped it in andddddd it hung up on feed ramp. Tried and tried then tried some Sig Elite V-crown HP's no-go on them too. It came with 2 mags, and both look brand new. Neither would work.

I tried unloading the mag one at a time and at some point maybe with 5 or 6 fmj's I was able to get one into battery. Immediately I went outside and ran the mag empty. I have not been able to replicate this one time success.

I'll attach the best photos that I can in order to assist those in the know. What I can say is that the feed ramp (to me) appears to short, and the geometry drives the nose of the bullet directly into the very sharp edge of the ramp and it cuts into the nose. There is a warranty on this gun. I called SIG. Their response was to tell me to shoot 200-300 fmjs and call them back if not corrected. My brother suggested that it might be the mags and I should max load them and let em sit over night and try again tomorrow.

Neither answer satisfied me, SIG's least of all, I can't even get one into battery and I'm almost certain that I'm starting to get some bullet set back with the continuous jamming into the feed ramp. It's not even making it far enough to encounter the extractor so that's a non-issue. I hate like hell to send it off to SIG if it's something I can fix, but I don't want to void my warranty either

Im not very good at photography hopefully this will do

This is a pic of as far as they get.

Below is a pic of the cut it is leaving on the fmj. You can tell I tried twice on this round. I spun it in the mag to have a un damaged area to try again.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; December 26th, 2018 at 11:22 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

Default Re: Failure to Feed - Sig P229 .40sw

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Picked up a "Certified Pre-Owned" Factory Refurbed 229 today. Excited as all hell. Gun looks great. Unfortunately my excitement was short lived.

Loaded 10 rounds of FMJ in a 12 round mag and slapped it in andddddd it hung up on feed ramp. Tried and tried then tried some Sig Elite V-crown HP's no-go on them too. It came with 2 mags, and both look brand new. Neither would work.

I tried unloading the mag one at a time and at some point maybe with 5 or 6 fmj's I was able to get one into battery. Immediately I went outside and ran the mag empty. I have not been able to replicate this one time success.

I'll attach the best photos that I can in order to assist those in the know. What I can say is that the feed ramp (to me) appears to short, and the geometry drives the nose of the bullet directly into the very sharp edge of the ramp and it cuts into the nose. There is a warranty on this gun. I called SIG. Their response was to tell me to shoot 200-300 fmjs and call them back if not corrected. My brother suggested that it might be the mags and I should max load them and let em sit over night and try again tomorrow.

Neither answer satisfied me, SIG's least of all, I can't even get one into battery and I'm almost certain that I'm starting to get some bullet set back with the continuous jamming into the feed ramp. It's not even making it far enough to encounter the extractor so that's a non-issue. I hate like hell to send it off to SIG if it's something I can fix, but I don't want to void my warranty either

Im not very good at photography hopefully this will do

This is a pic of as far as they get.

Below is a pic of the cut it is leaving on the fmj. You can tell I tried twice on this round. I spun it in the mag to have a un damaged area to try again.

Call Sig again and tell them their pistol is defective and you don't have the time or patience to be wasting ammo running it through a defective gun. Tell them to print you up a label so you can send it back to them for repair or replacement don't be rude or angry with them. Be assertive with them and tell them this isn't your first pistol and you didn't just fall off the turnip truck. The pistol should be able to load and fire straight from the factory. Sig has overgrown it's capabilities and it's beginning to show.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Call Sig again and tell them their pistol is defective and you don't have the time or patience to be wasting ammo running it through a defective gun. Tell them to print you up a label so you can send it back to them for repair or replacement don't be rude or angry with them. Be assertive with them and tell them this isn't your first pistol and you didn't just fall off the turnip truck. The pistol should be able to load and fire straight from the factory. Sig has overgrown it's capabilities and it's beginning to show.
    Love it! Thank you I was flustered!

(Chester County)

I’d follow Jenn’s advice. That being said, I’m guessing magazines and/or recoil spring.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

Are the mags very springy ? If so the mags may look new but the springs could be worn out. I would recommend swapping out the springs or try a new mag...sounds like the spring is weak enough so it is not putting enough tension to lift the rounds upwards. Especially since the mags work with minimal rounds in it.

(Elk County)

To add to what Pag23 said, it could be the recoil spring being weak, but IMO the root cause is that feed ramp digging into the nose of the bullet. Something is "off" with that geometry.

What Jenn said. Shoot 200-300 rds? Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I've got thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of 40S&W rounds through 229's and never had that happen
    Try a different mag and if it doesn't go away then push the issue with Sig

You can't shoot 200 rounds if they won't feed
    And you are correct to be concerned with bullet setback

(Wyoming County)

I really appreciate the help. Had my mags topped off over night. The tension in the spring while loading them doesn't seem consistent like my experience with Glock mags. The best way I can think of to describe it is "erratic force necessary to load" not stacking force like I would expect ? Maybe I'll run to the LGS and grab a new one. I expect to give things one more shot before I call SIG back today.

With regard to Noah's suggestion of recoil spring- that is the only wonky thing I can find visually. Picture below. I initially assumed it was a SIG thing? It does NOT slide freely on the guide rod. In fact I haven't been able to pull it off for fear of damaging it. It is stuck down at the lip/seat end of the rod. I can't even spin or rotate it. The unsupported end of the spring is kind of curved and unsymmetrical but I have no experience with SIG braided recoil springs. Note: It is painted a sky blue color at the seated end.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I really appreciate the help. Had my mags topped off over night. The tension in the spring while loading them doesn't seem consistent like my experience with Glock mags. The best way I can think of to describe it is "erratic force necessary to load" not stacking force like I would expect ? Maybe I'll run to the LGS and grab a new one. I expect to give things one more shot before I call SIG back today.

With regard to Noah's suggestion of recoil spring- that is the only wonky thing I can find visually. Picture below. I initially assumed it was a SIG thing? It does NOT slide freely on the guide rod. In fact I haven't been able to pull it off for fear of damaging it. It is stuck down at the lip/seat end of the rod. I can't even spin or rotate it. The unsupported end of the spring is kind of curved and unsymmetrical but I have no experience with SIG braided recoil springs. Note: It is painted a sky blue color at the seated end.

It is suppose to be tight at one end... My 229 is the same way as yours.. I you lived closer I would give you a used mag to try out...

The spring can come off, it just takes a bit...

That spring looks like it got jammed between the guide rod and slide upon assembly.

I would replace it if you can do so easily

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast