Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PickingPA Guest

Default First AR-15 Build — Recommendations?

Ok, decided to build my first AR-15. Not just my first AR build....this will be my first AR as well.

Have a family, so laying out the lump sum $ for a traditional fully assembled AR-15 purchase is not really a top priority in the family budget.

For Christmas, my sons gave me gift cards to Cabelas (yeah, yeah, I would have preferred LGS, but whatever). So I decided to kick start my build with the gift cards.

The intended purpose of this project will be range shooting & (hopefully never needed) SHTF prep. So my plan is a carbine 5.56/.223

What I am looking for is recommendations for this budget build. Like I said, I am completely new to the AR platform and new to building a gun as well.

So where do I start? Where would you start? The gift cards combine to $150. Do I NEED to start with the stripped lower plus other stuff or can I use the $150 towards a more expensive individual part, such as barrel?

Any hints or tips to help me along, or pitfalls to be aware of? Any real solid reference materials that are good for a first time builder?

Looking forward to any info that you can provide!

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: First AR-15 Build — Recommendations?

Make sure you get the proper length gas tube(it's matched to the barrel port location)
    You could start with the optic if you wanted, the lower is the just base of your build. For budget building, nothing beats the internet for pricing. EBay even has some cheap stuff with a lot of it being listed as for airsoft to avoid there anti gun bullshit.

Oh for $25 on ebay, you can get an AR armorers wrench along with upper and lower vice blocks for building at home.

Also, id look into pistol builds. Costs the same amount, same amount of work. I'm doing a pistol build atm myself due to political climate towards them the NFA laws. A pistol can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol at anytime. A rifle can't be changed to a pistol without a Short Barrel Rifle(SBR) tax stamp from the ATF.

(Montgomery County)

Also, check out the deals thread on here. Also check out the gun.deals website. Gun.deals is the full link.

For cabelas, make your gift cards worth more! Look for sales, use coupons, and always look for price matching!

Btw no need for a $100+ lower. A $40 Palmetto state armory or Anderson is sufficient.

Combatarmory.com has some good deals too, including on ammo sometimes. It's one of those sites you gotta check every few days cause they keep it minimally stocked online. Combat armory also runs a ton of deals for 5-25%off with free shipping.

PickingPA Guest

I should specify a few things....

I say “budget build” but I don’t really have a set budget, which is not to be confused with an unlimited budget. The purpose is to make small, relatively inexpensive purchases that combine to a finished product that would otherwise not “fit in the budget”. If “it fit”, I would just go buy a completed one and head to the range.

The $150 in gift cards will likely be largest outlay for a few months, so I’m looking to spend it wisely. I will nickel and dime parts along the way after the $150 is gone.

PickingPA Guest

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I am interested in an AR pistol and I am keeping that in mind as well.

(Berks County)

+1 on Palmetto State Armory or Anderson for the lower. Watch for sales and you might find an Anderson for $35. You could get some Magpul stuff like grip, stock, hand guards, magazines, sights, etc. at Cabelas. Not the most economical path, but if you want to use your gift cards.
    Last edited by esh21167; December 26th, 2018 at 06:32 PM.

(Monroe County)

With an avg ar going for $550, are you really going to save that much? But it depends on your skill and build. Lower for $50, and a no name every thing kit for $3/400.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

PickingPA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    With an avg ar going for $550, are you really going to save that much? But it depends on your skill and build. Lower for $50, and a no name every thing kit for $3/400.
    It’s more about spreading the cost out into smaller purchases - eliminates the “we have more important things to spend $500 on” discussion.

Plus I have $150 to get started.
    Last edited by PickingPA; December 26th, 2018 at 02:04 PM.

(Bucks County)

Here's a good read for the new-to-the gun. Hope it helps.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ar-15-for-the-money/

(Montgomery County)

I think primary arms has anderson lowers for $35 or $40 right now btw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast