Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR gas tube ?

Default AR gas tube ?

So I have owned a few AR's over the years. They have always been "stock". Nothing exciting about them. I recently decided to upgrade two of them. I picked up a "rifle length" magpul handguard and a free float handguard that is 15" long.
    I assume a "rifle length" gas tube will work for the magpul handguard, but what about the free float one? I only see carbine, mid length and rifle length gas tubes for sale? Do I just go with a shorter gas tube and a low profile block? Then just go with a rail mount front sight?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR gas tube ?

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    So I have owned a few AR's over the years. They have always been "stock". Nothing exciting about them. I recently decided to upgrade two of them. I picked up a "rifle length" magpul handguard and a free float handguard that is 15" long.
    I assume a "rifle length" gas tube will work for the magpul handguard, but what about the free float one? I only see carbine, mid length and rifle length gas tubes for sale? Do I just go with a shorter gas tube and a low profile block? Then just go with a rail mount front sight?
    the length of the gas tube does not change.. if you have a carbine length gas port then a carbine length gas tube is needed.. same if you have a mid length gas port then a mid length gas tube is needed and so on.. you can use a longer free float with a carbine gas tube and low profile gas block.. the magpul rifle length hand guard most likely will not work for you unless you had a rifle length on it to start with.... and those are generally found on the longer 18" and 20" barrels ***** I will add.. if you are only upgrading the hand guards, You will just use the gas tube you have now.. the type of gas block may change..
    Last edited by JDA58; December 26th, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Yes. ^^^

Do your "rifles" have an A2 front sight/gas block, or a low profile gas block?
    If you don't have an A2 front sight, you can install whatever length hand guard you want - the gas tube has nothing to do with it.

Ok so for the free float I can go with a low profile gas block and stay with the original gas tube. The confusing one is the magpul. I have carbine length handguard now with no a2 front sight. I was thinking of pulling the a2 front sight off of the one im putting the free float on and using it with the magpul handguard. If I do that I need to get a longer gas tube. I was thinking rifle length as that is what the magpul is. Would that be correct?

Ok so for the free float I can go with a low profile gas block and stay with the original gas tube. The confusing one is the magpul. I have carbine length handguard now with no a2 front sight. I was thinking of pulling the a2 front sight off of the one im putting the free float on and using it with the magpul handguard. If I do that I need to get a longer gas tube. I was thinking rifle length as that is what the magpul is. Would that be correct?
    Depending on the barrel you may be able to add the a2 sight to work with the hand guard but still leave the other gasblock where it is. The gasport that's drilled un the barrel determines the length gas tube. If you have a 16" barrel and put rifle length handguards on you end up with a "dissapater" look. Pictures would help narrow down your options

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Depending on the barrel you may be able to add the a2 sight to work with the hand guard but still leave the other gasblock where it is. The gasport that's drilled un the barrel determines the length gas tube. If you have a 16" barrel and put rifle length handguards on you end up with a "dissapater" look. Pictures would help narrow down your options
    AH I get it now. Hmmm, well seems like I might not bother with the magpul handguard then. No big deal. I bought it on a whim because it was on a deal. OR I could go for a low profile gas block under the magpul handguard and put the A2 front sight further ahead and do go with the dissapter look. Now you got me thinking , lol

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    AH I get it now. Hmmm, well seems like I might not bother with the magpul handguard then. No big deal. I bought it on a whim because it was on a deal. OR I could go for a low profile gas block under the magpul handguard and put the A2 front sight further ahead and do go with the dissapter look. Now you got me thinking , lol

The bottom rifle is set up as a dissipator in the way described. It has a mid length low profile gas block covered up by the Magpul rifle length hand guard and an A2 front sight mounted at the rifle position. Search for "dissipator" builds and you can probably find a front sight that'll work if you want to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

The bottom rifle is set up as a dissipator in the way described. It has a mid length low profile gas block covered up by the Magpul rifle length hand guard and an A2 front sight mounted at the rifle position. Search for "dissipator" builds and you can probably find a front sight that'll work if you want to try it.
    Wondering if I can use the front sight off of the rifle im putting the free float handgaurd on?

(Centre County)

Wondering if I can use the front sight off of the rifle im putting the free float handgaurd on?
    It would depend on how it fits the barrel. Typically a front sight with the gas block built in is held on by tapered pins and the front sight would have to match the barrel diameter so it is a tight fit. Then the barrel will probably need to be notched for the taper pins to got through the sight base to hold it securing it against the barrel. Otherwise, you can get A2 front sights that do not have the gas block and they are held on the barrel by either set screws or clamps.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    It would depend on how it fits the barrel. Typically a front sight with the gas block built in is held on by tapered pins and the front sight would have to match the barrel diameter so it is a tight fit. Then the barrel will probably need to be notched for the taper pins to got through the sight base to hold it securing it against the barrel. Otherwise, you can get A2 front sights that do not have the gas block and they are held on the barrel by either set screws or clamps.
    Good idea. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast